Author Topic: Wire sculpture building  (Read 3629 times)

Offline rimist

Wire sculpture building
« on: March 06, 2012, »
I am considering making a wire sculpture leprechaun to add to my St Patrick's display. Does anyone know of any resource that might guide me in this endeavor? I googled but came up primarily with deer and the like. I need a good example of making a human like sculpture.

-Rimist (via Tapatalk)
- Rimist

Offline maffeirw

• Patron Member
Re: Wire sculpture building
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, »
Google - coloring book leprechaun, reduce the detail and scale to to desired size using photoshop, paint etc. If you need help with the welding and fabrication I'm sure others here can discuss it with expertize.

For the design I would do something like this design:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Luceat lux vestra

Offline rimist

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, »
I don't have access to welding equipment. For my first time I was going to use coat hangers and zip ties. I'm just not familiar with how to best bend the wire to represent a humanoid face

-Rimist (via Tapatalk)
- Rimist

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, »
I would look in to buying a welder.  You can pick up pretty inexepensive arc welders for around $100, new.  Enough to get the job, tacking, done.

Not too difficult to learn, teach yourself.  There are some good videos on youtube as well, teaching basic tacking.

Just a suggestion.
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

sjb

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, »
Would that be like teaching yourself how to solder? LOL <la..

Offline rimist

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, »
Right now I don't have the budget for any more tools, but I'll put it on my gift list. Perhaps I'll get one for Father's day or my birthday.
As far as sculpting goes, I just picked up a coat hanger, pair of pliers, and talked my daughter into holding still a couple of times. I've started on the head and it's working fairly well.

-Rimist (via Tapatalk)
- Rimist

Offline nvizzini

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, »
Hi
home depot has rolls of wire used to hang drop ceilings it is  12 AWG

it will work better than coat hangers and will work better. If you don't want to weld it you can use wire to wrap around the joints they may work better than tiewraps or you can  try brasing;
easier to do with small gage wire.  Hear is a link to get you started

Nicholas
Nicholas-Foster
Houston, TX

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, »
I found this a sample to make stars, might give you an idea to make whatever else you want.
Sebastian from California

Offline maffeirw

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, »
I followed these instructructions a few years ago and I was very happy with the results except that troubleshooting burned out bulbs was a huge pain.  I would assume that the same procedures could be applied to any light gauge wireframe.

Luceat lux vestra

Offline caretaker

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, »
For bending smaller gauge wire get some 1/4 dowels and cut into pegs about 3 inches in length. Then get a hold of some peg board with 1/4 in holes(masonite with holes in it) I did this with 2 foot square pieces and mount them about a 1/2 inch apart then use a 1/2 inch space as legs on the bottom. Now just stick you pegs in the holes of the pegboard setting up the design you want  alternating with a peg inside and outside of the line and wrap your wire along the pegs. If you look at your local craft/hobby store they should carry an inexpensive tool for making bends in wire. For large and small curves use the out side of cans or buckets.  For sharp bends use a pair of needle nose pliers.  Now if you move up to 1/4 rod for wire frames you will need some more tools...
Jeff Squires

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, »
great idea, i never thought to use coloring books as examples
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline dudehenry3

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, »
You could look in the garden center at home depot for tomato plant it is a cone shape about 4 foot long you can build from that there is 1/2 of the body. Fence pliers works real good for bending the wire and cutting as well good luck.hope that helps some.
"Where ever you are going... Never take an Idiot with you, as you can always find one when you get there’’