Author Topic: First build, need assistance trouble shooting SOLVED!!!!!!!!!  (Read 5128 times)

Offline urthegman

Hello all, I just finished my first Lynx Express v5 build and when I plugged it in the display said Lynx Express 60 hz however,channel 6 led  lit up dimly and when I ran it through the test, channels 6, 10,11 and 12 leds did not light up. However after the test channel 2 and 4 lit up as they are supposed to. My solder joints all look decent, and if anything shouldn't have worked , it would be the middle digit where I didn't realized I was using my thicker roll of solder and it got a little ugly, but lo and behold it works! Any ideas what it might be?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, by urthegman »

Offline angus40

Re: First build, need assistance trouble shooting
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, »
check to make sure you installed the leds correctly  ie) flat side orientation.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, »
I would check the PIC and make sure that it is in its socket correctly.  A few bent pins could do this.  Some LED's could be in backwards but if that were true of LED 6 then it wouldn't light at all. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, »
Double check the solder on the processor and the components associated with bad channels.  It doesn't hurt to reheat those connections to be sure they are good. A dim channel 6 LED tells me there is probably a bad solder connection.

Be sure the opto's for those channels are in the proper direction.  Swap the optos with a working channel to confirm the optos are ok. 

If that doesn't help, my guess would be to check the LEDs.  If they are installed backwards they won't light.

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, »
Your PIC needs to be re programmed. there is most likely nothing else wrong. You will need to either get a pickit to program it, or send the pic to one of the people in the wiki list to do it for you. I had 4 out of 6 Pics that had the same exact problem as did others..
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, »
Here is the list of pic help.

Here is a good source for pickits:

hope this helps.

Offline urthegman

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, »
Well that should keep me busy for a while <la.. LOL Thank you everyone!!!! I know I was VERY careful to put the leds in right but a question, if the led is in backwards, the channels would still have output correct? So I can check that by attaching a plug, correct? I will check the pic again it was a little difficult going in. I'm not concerned that the #6 led was dim, I'm concerned that it was on AND dim when I plugged the express in. I will swap the optos and see if that helps. My gut tells me that it most likely is what Steve M. says. I have a pickit 3 in my arsenal and I'm not afraid to use it! LOL I just thought of something, I have it set up for 2 plugs and only had one attached and plugged in, would THAT affect anything? Once again THANKS and I will keep you all posted!

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, »
The left plug is all you need. Don't bother checking anything else.  Use the pickit.. 8)
Also read this thread regarding the pickit not auto detecting the PIC...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, by SteveMaris »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, »
Ok

First the two plug setup with one plug. This would not effect the leds working but would make half of the ac outputs not work.

The leds in backwards would not allow the outputs to work either. The leds actually show you the optocoupler being triggered so no trigger no output. If the leds is backwards it will not let power through so no light and no trigger for that channel.

The programming is likely the problem as this is common symptoms. We had some for an unknow reason not program correctly on this last coop. It has been a wierd coop I must say.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, »
I had the same exact symptoms on my 2 I just built from the coop.  Reflashed them and they are working great.

Offline urthegman

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, »
YIPPEE - KAY - YEAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reflashed it and PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!   <res.  <res.  <res.  <res.  <res.  <res.  <res.  <res.  <res.  <res.

Offline SteveMaris

Good deal.  8)

Offline pk

• Patron Member
Glad to hear it is working for you!!

Offline angus40

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
I don't feel bad having to flash the PIC. The last two years I built LOR kits I had to re-flash the PIC before they operated properly.  Even if you don't flash the PIC after a build, a read to check the check sum to make sure it's correct is a good idea.