Author Topic: EtherDongle setup... looking ahead...  (Read 1511 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
EtherDongle setup... looking ahead...
« on: March 09, 2012, »
If i'm running a show with two EtherDongles, that are to be synched together, and controlled without a computer...

would i need?
1 EtherDongle to be used with an add on card called the conductor to run the show.
1 EtherDongle to be used with the first EtherDongle, with an add on card called the Slave.
then i'd just run an Ethernet cable between the two magJacks on the 2 EtherDongles?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tbone321

Re: EtherDongle setup... looking ahead...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, »
Why you would need two etherdongles with the size of your current show is beyond me but yes, you would need a conductor board on one and a slave on the other.  If you connect them directly you would probably need a crossover cable but you can just as easily connect them both to your network or even wirelessly with a wireless ethernet adapter.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rm357

EtherDongle setup... looking ahead...
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, »
Slave?
Is that something new or just another conductor in slave mode?

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, »
The slave is not new and was and is part of RJ's plan.  I don't know much about it but from what I have heard it is basically a stripped down conductor.  You load it with the part of the show that you want it to control and and instead of running the show itself it is controlled by a conductor thru timing signals that are sent over your network.  The advantage to this should be pretty clear.  Instead of sending huge amounts of data across your network, you send small timing signals which use next to nothing in bandwidth and all of the slaves respond to the same packet so if you have one or 1000 slaves there is no increase in usage on you network. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline JerryPlak

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, »
take a look at one of RJ videos  EtherDongle w/ Conductor Demo
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Jerry Plak