Author Topic: first one built but no power light  (Read 2933 times)

Offline grumpy2076

first one built but no power light
« on: March 11, 2012, »
just finished building first controller and pluged it in but no red power light, so were did i go wrong any ideas <rtt.. <md..
Hey, it's like that old goat says: Rule 11: It's all just a game, so let loose and have fun with it! I mean, a casualty or two along the way is no big deal, right?

Offline MSL

• So many lights, so little time!
    • 26streetlights
Re: first one built but no power light
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, »
Hi Grumpy,

I'm not an expert at this but I will try to help.

When you say you plugged it in I assume you mean the test before you put in the chips and pics.

Did you hook the power up to the left side of the board?

If so then you need to start checking that all your solder joints are flowed and are making contact. Unplug the board and start looking at the LED's. Check to make sure all the parts are in the correct location.

It would be helpful if you posted pictures of the front and back of the PCB. That way there will be a few more eyes looking for problems.

Mark
Holiday Lights in Plantation, Florida

Over 20,000 LED and RGB lights. We currently are running 3020 channels (320 Lynx Express / 2700 RGB Zeus and Smart String channels / 3 Aethers II).

Our show can be seen on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline grumpy2076

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, »
Will do ill take pics in the mornig , who knows i might be able to get it going sence i was tired when i finished it lol <md..
Hey, it's like that old goat says: Rule 11: It's all just a game, so let loose and have fun with it! I mean, a casualty or two along the way is no big deal, right?

Offline MSL

• So many lights, so little time!
    • 26streetlights
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, »
I need to take a step back. I thought you were working on an Express (it is late LOL). Ignore the part about the test before the chips and pics and hooking the power up to the left side.

Do look at the board to make sure everything is soldered correctly and in the right place.

Post photos in the morning. I'm sure someone here can help you.

Mark
Holiday Lights in Plantation, Florida

Over 20,000 LED and RGB lights. We currently are running 3020 channels (320 Lynx Express / 2700 RGB Zeus and Smart String channels / 3 Aethers II).

Our show can be seen on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rm357

first one built but no power light
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, »
What are you using for a power supply? The board needs at least 7vdc and no more than 24vdc. 12vdc works great.

A 5vdc supply won't work...

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline grumpy2076

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, »
here are my pics,

Offline grumpy2076

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, »
well after reading other post i found my problem, the wiki mr16 is out of date and thats what i followed had 2 resisters that i thought were extra that needed to be put in the 180, 1k, now i have the red power light now to see if i can program it, i know were all busy here doing so much, but i would be nice to update the wike for retards like me that dont know much about electronics  >.d9<md..

Offline grumpy2076

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, »
ok now i cant getit programed, i have power on channel 1-16 all the time i plug in light and its on, use the adrees program to dime nothing

Offline Mimir

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, »
Make sure you have the jumper on the operate side.  I had one of mine set to program address when I first powered up and saw the same thing.

John

Offline grumpy2076

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, »
it is on the operation side

Offline grumpy2076

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, »
well alls good with mr 16 had to reprogram pic and bam it all works great thanks for all the help >.d9 now for the next project.