Author Topic: Ledtriks II proto development  (Read 35953 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Ledtriks II proto development
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2008, »
You forget adding wires is easy take them out and having it still is the tricky part!  Believe me I just cleaned find any of the other pictures of my bench and I must of been making something work BIG TIME!!!!!!  ;D

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline kylec

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Lake Stevens
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2008, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Believe me I just cleaned find any of the other pictures of my bench and I must of been making something work BIG TIME!!!!!!  ;D

RJ

I'll vouch for that, I've seen the other pictures   :D.

Kyle  ;D ;D
Excess is Success

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2008, »
Ok we built the screen and a test setup with a single LED since I am waiting on the order with the rest of them in it.

First understand what you are looking at on the video. The wind is blowning like crazy and you are seeing the ledtriks screen made up of one of my old ledtriks which are 2 ft x 4 ft. The line you see is the Ledtriks Light Engine with a single led generating a line so we can see what the color and brightness will be like. There is no controller to turn the led on or off so it is on continuously causeing a line to be drawn as opposed to pixel dots of a graphic. We also will be dyeing the screen black to increase the contrast even more and make the screen itself invisible.

The color and brightness while it does not show up as well on the camera is good.

RJ

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2008, »
Looks nice RJ

Thanks for the update

Bill

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2008, »
Cool RJ

You made a blue line

LOL

aka Kmart?

:D :D :D

Rick (Should I be running) R.

You do know that I am only messing with ya. I can't wait to have one of my own.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, by rrowan »
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2008, »
Cool RJ

You made a blue line

LOL

aka Kmart?

:D :D :D

Rick (Should I be running) R.

You do know that I am only messing with ya. I can't wait to have one of my own.

Yeah but your just jealous cause people with there own Blue lines are cool! and everyone else is not.  LOL

RJ

Offline kylec

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Lake Stevens
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2008, »
Very cool!  I think I just peed in my pants a little bit  :-[ !!

Kyle  ;D ;D
Excess is Success

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2008, »
Very cool!  I think I just peed in my pants a little bit  :-[ !!

Kyle  ;D ;D

Little k,

If that happens much there is medicine for it! But the side effects do not sound very good!!!!!

RJ

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2008, »
Looks pretty darn cool to me.  I can't wait for more information.

Ron

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2008, »
Bring it on RJ!

John
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline lortiz

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2009, »
As some of you know and some had good guesses. This is the next stage of Ledtriks II development. I am moving from small scale to full scale proto on it. This device now has four mirrors attached and will be the heart of what I am calling the Ledtriks II Light Engine.

This device replaces between 752 and 1500 + RGB leds for the different configs I have planned. This will make it more cost effective and as you can see a little bit easier than soldering 6000 led connections to a board.

This uses POV projection to allow you to use a few bright LEDS instead of 1000's of lower powered ones.

Projectors like this normally use Laser but lasers and optics to do full color are a way too pricey so I have worked out a way to use LEDS to do it cheaply (I believe) with a few inexpensive optics. The minature protoype showed real promise but I could still run into problems with the large scale as everything like this does not always scale well.

I can't really work on other things cause my computer is running a light show so I decided to work on the mechanical of this project.

The target is $100 - $120 total to build it and I may be able to do it. It will therefore be a little more expensive than the Ledtriks but for full color and higer resolution I think that is pretty cheap.

While it was easy for me to design an RGB version of the Ledtriks using standard methods the amount of work and cost of even 768 cheap RGB leds was too much. This will be able to be done for a 5 to 8 of the cost of that setup and a 100th of the work I would say. What you see here can be assembled by most people is 2 hours or less and will be the hardest part of building it. Ths device if it works out will be twice the resolution and have a controller that does all the work.

RJ

Hi RJ,

I was able to read between the lines and if you are in need of an extra computer, I have one that's been laying around doing nothing for quite some time now that I'm willing to donate to you. It is something I can do for all that you've provided to this community (us mortals).... PC is a Thinkcentre M51 (8104-E2U) small form factor (really cool and handy computer).

Send me a PM with your address if you are willing to accept it.

Keep up with your excellent designs....
Barbara Sher - "Doing is a quantum leap from imagining."

Offline Blackbeard

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2009, »
Wow, that reminds of when I used to have to align our imagesetters here at work. Same principal for projection as the one you are using.  We needed lenses to focus the laser beam to a 1/1240 inch dot and the laser was always on with a vibrating (oscillating) mirror in the laser beam path instead of pulsing the laser . The oscillating mirror was close enough to the laser that it didn't require a large movement to direct the beam either on the mirrors or away from them as the path to the polygon was in the order of maybe 3 feet.  A rotating front face mirrored (8 sided) polygon spun to provide horizontal imaging and the film was moved under the beam to produce a negative for a newpaper page.

I don't think there were microprocessors back then so it almost all was done with discrete components and ICs.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2009, »

Hi RJ,

I was able to read between the lines and if you are in need of an extra computer, I have one that's been laying around doing nothing for quite some time now that I'm willing to donate to you. It is something I can do for all that you've provided to this community (us mortals).... PC is a Thinkcentre M51 (8104-E2U) small form factor (really cool and handy computer).

Send me a PM with your address if you are willing to accept it.

Keep up with your excellent designs....

Thanks but it's OK I had a computer to do stuff on but the computer with all the tools I use was in use as a show computer. I have no time also doing the period that we run shows to do any work like that anyway as it takes what little time I have to work, change burnt out lights, and manage the people at the shows.

RJ

Offline tconley

• Conley Family Christmas
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2009, »
Hey RJ,
            Any update on the new ledtriks?
Pinky, are you pondering what I am pondering?

I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2009, »
Hey RJ,
            Any update on the new ledtriks?

Not till the wireless is done.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required