Author Topic: "Backordered" parts from Mouser  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Beanbag109

• "If I bulid it, it will flash and blink"
"Backordered" parts from Mouser
« on: March 15, 2012, »
I want a DMX dongle, but one of the parts are bordered.

Should I order all of the parts from the BOM, and find the missing part else where?

Should I just order it as is, and get the part when it becomes available?

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
Re: "Backordered" parts from Mouser
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, »
It just depends if you want to wait or spend more money on shipping. Digikey has the part for same price but you will pay for shipping there too.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline TheQueb

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, »
I'm finding the same problem for the dongle AND a couple of Express boards... I wonder if a BOM could be put together for the project with Digikey as the supplier?

Offline Rod R

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I want a DMX dongle, but one of the parts are bordered.

Should I order all of the parts from the BOM, and find the missing part else where?

Should I just order it as is, and get the part when it becomes available?

I would say it is completely up to you as far as the parts go.  DLA gets a break on large orders from Mouser as RJ has been working with them for awhile which is part of the reason we consistently order from them as well as the variety of parts on hand.  I know our company orders from them because they do tend to have better pricing, normally have the better selection of parts on hand and they upgrade the shipping for us as well on large orders.

With that being said, I would be sure to order what they have on hand now and not delay the order as the other parts may go on back order.  Either way if you do wait till it come s in stock and you will still get charged for the second shipment.  If Digikey has the part go ahead and order from them.  At least you'll have the parts in hand to do the build.  You could always check to see if Digikey has all of the parts on hand I have not check so I don't know for sure if they carry all the parts needed for that build.

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, »
I know the 25V 100uF cap is on order. I ordered a 35V 100 uF cap as a replacement. It has the same specs as the 25V one, just a bit taller, and $.01 more. Depending on the part, mouser may have a substitute part, just make sure the specifications are the same.

They are also out of the power connector for the wireless tx, and the clock. The old one shows that it has been replaced. But still shows new part on order.

The red led should be a T1 size, but mousers replacement is T1.5, a little digging you should find a red led that is water clear that is the right size, voltage, and current.

Ordering parts can be a bit of a pain, but that's DIY.

Have fun
Have Fun!

Offline ebrady

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, »
A bit of advise to everyone on this, you will be best served by ordering parts for DIY boards early in the year to allow for all of the supply irregularities that have appeared since the economy tanked.  At work, I have seen parts go from 10000+ in inventory at Mouser and Digikey, to being backordered with a 50+ week lead time a day later.   This almost bit me last year, as the PICs I am using for my custom boards went on backorder at Newark (Element 14), Mouser, and Digi-Key, November was rolling around and I still could not get them.

Luckily they came in and I didn't have to re-sequence my show... :)

Offline rimist

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, »
Which leads to the next piece of advice... Order a few spare parts. I'm sure someone can provide a list, but I'd at least try to get one spare of each kind of pic chip you use. Triacs are good to have too. And those little green fuses.

- Rimist (via Tapatalk)
- Rimist

Offline Beanbag109

• "If I bulid it, it will flash and blink"
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, »
That's is good advice on the spare parts. Have you seen any good lists here?