Author Topic: Lawn is not pretty  (Read 2410 times)

Offline zwiller

Lawn is not pretty
« on: March 19, 2012, »
We've had summer like temps here in Ohio for about a week.  Flowers are poking out, we're grilling stuff, lawn is greening, it's been great... 

but...

I've come to the realization that no amount of fertilizer will repair what last year's display did to my yard.   <fp.

Doesn't help that I have a retired dude who likes to take care of his yard as much as I like blinky living next door. 

Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Lawn is not pretty
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, »
what did you do to your yard?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Penfold

• Brownsville, TX
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, »
You dyed your grass blue didn't you! DIY Kentucky Blue Grass is not the way to go sir  :o.  Or did you dye your grass "Green" for St. Patrick's day and now your grass is going brown and so you are blaming it on your display  ;)
♪Chicken go cluck, cluck
Cow go moo
Piggy go *snort* *snort*
how bout you?  ♪

Offline zwiller

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, »
Didn't dye it blue or green, just painted it white to simulate snow.  I even used latex since it is water based.   ;D   

I didn’t do anything radical, just an average size display.  Here if you haven’t seen it before: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 

First time I put the controllers in the yard closer to the lights.  Maybe this is premature and the lawn will bounce back.  I think the bulk of the damage occurred when I tore my display down.  It was kinda soggy and I was walking all over the yard and putting the ladder in the landscaping and stuff.

I thought all the rebar I was pounding in the ground would be good for aeration!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, »
Really good sequencing.......

Screw tha old man's yard next door.  Where do you live?  I will come and fix his yard; mess it up a bit.  Big holes, pitchfork the heck out of if.  Make it look just like yours.
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, »
Are you using old cottage cheese containers for your yard luminaries?
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

Offline angus40

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, »
Better idea would be to chat up the retired guy next door , buy him a coffee -drink etc . rave to him how great of a job he does takin care of his lawn etc and how your all thumbs when it comes to lawn maintanance .

Encourage his assistance in the repair , I bet he would like the challenge as much as you like blinky.

just my .02

Offline thestig

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, »
I know how you feel. I made custom gravestones for Halloween and they killed the grass. I now have 5 rectangular dead spots in my yard. :(

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I know how you feel. I made custom gravestones for Halloween and they killed the grass. I now have 5 rectangular dead spots in my yard. :(

you're not supposed to wait until March to take those down   >:D

Offline zwiller

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, »
Sorry if I made it sound like the old guy I don't get along, we do.  Love him.  Couldn't have a better neighbor.  His lawn is just his thing.  That's cool.   ;DI just was curious if other decorators noticed their displays affecting their own yards.  Clearly this year my yard shows more wear and tear from my display than previous years. 

Mike, thanks for the kind words (and the offer to destroy a neighbors yard).   ;D 

Yep, I'm the cottage cheese luminary dude.  They are called zwiluminaries.  Yeah, sure, that will catch on!   ::)  They are commercial sized containers and more info in this thread: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  I hope to convert mine to RGB this year.  The polyethylene really diffuses the color well.

Stig, you remind me that although I only run a Halloween show on TOT night, I still manage to tear up the yard a bit before Christmas season.  So it's a double whammy. 

Man, I don't have time to reseed and water I'm converting to RGB and LSP!!!    >:D

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, »
what elements did the damage? i had no damage

Offline rm357

Lawn is not pretty
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, »
Damage from the show? Minor compared to the damage from last summer here in GA.  I need to invest in a sprinkler system...

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline Kwajtony

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, »
Still, great looking cottage cheese containers.  Impressed - yeah.   ;D
R,
Tony "C"

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, »
I don't get any damage, but for some reason my grass stays green where my mega tree is so for most of the winter I have a larger green circle in the middle of my yard.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, »
My front lawn is Zoysia grass and it doesn't seem to mind what I do to it.

Sure the decorations make indents in the grass but it goes away quickly and I have a difficult time finding out where I put the rebar or stakes in the ground.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required