Author Topic: 2012 Aether 2 coop update  (Read 9220 times)

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
Re: 2012 Aether 2 coop update
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, »
RJ I really need a like button for your answers in this and other post. Kudos t to you and the managers.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, »
RJ....

...I have my laptop and keyboard ready to flame up for what ever comes up next.  Aether II, updated SSC, DMX show unit.....I'm addicted!!!!!

Somebody stop me...... <md..
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

Offline zwiller

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, »
Kudos to lonewolf for doing the current COOP!  Not sure who's idea, but I think the 250 quantity was a great one.  I hope our members realize that 250 is a ton of work.   <res.

'tis going to be a BRIGHT Christmas!
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Kudos to lonewolf for doing the current COOP!  Not sure who's idea, but I think the 250 quantity was a great one.  I hope our members realize that 250 is a ton of work.   <res.

'tis going to be a BRIGHT Christmas!
I greatly appreciate doing this lonewolf!
I'd love to help out in some way... is there something I can do from Texas?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline urthegman

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, »
I agree Steve, I would like to help also, but from his avatar I assumed he was from somewhere out west!!!

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
2012 Aether 2 coop update
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2012, »
He's from Madison, Indiana.

I will be in Madison next week for work....

I doubt he will have anything that needs help with by then, or I would offer.
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, »
Thanks for the offers.  I don't know of anything.  The biggest task will be building the heatsinks, but that shouldn't be too bad.  A friend, a shear, and a press will all be utilized.  I would bring all I could to the academy for those that are going, but that has already been shot down.  Other than that, just waiting for the rest to be ordered.  I think you'll like the final pricing.

-Keith

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, »
Question:

are the lens for this coop compatible with equipment from last year's coop?

Last year the options were:  15, 24, and 35 degrees
This year the options are: 8, 15, 22, 32, and 45 degrees

The slight 22/24 and 32/35 differences are of no concern -- except they tell me a different vendor might be used.  Will the new lens fit on an older unit?

Thanks!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, »
i don't think there was a change in the electronics of the aether II  between first coop and this...   so, it should?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, »
Question:

The slight 22/24 and 32/35 differences are of no concern -- except they tell me a different vendor might be used.  Will the new lens fit on an older unit?

Thanks!

Yes, they are the same and will work with last year's lights.  Even mouser had the angle different in two different places so I think I went with the data sheet values.  The 3 lenses are exactly the same as last time.  Apparently the LED manufacturer added two new lenses to the line-up...or maybe Mouser just started carrying the other 2.  Not sure.  They are a wider and a narrower one from the ones offered last time.  I went ahead and included them in this one to give people more options and to possibly be able to better fine-tune their lights.  A little more work, but you guys are worth it.   :P

-Keith
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, by lonewolf41 »

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, »
Question:

Thanks!

Yes, they are the same and will work with last year's lights.  Even mouser had the angle different in two different places so I think I went with the data sheet values.  The 3 lenses are exactly the same as last time.  Apparently the LED manufacturer added two new lenses to the line-up...or maybe Mouser just started carrying the other 2.  Not sure.  They are a wider and a narrower one from the ones offered last time.  I went ahead and included them in this one to give people more options and to possibly be able to better fine-tune their lights.  A little more work, but you guys are worth it.   :P

-Keith
Thanks for the answer, the options, and the effort!

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2012, »
ugh, didn't get an email about the thread start in the coop thread and I haven't been checking in here as much as I used to. Missed the coop again.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, »
The housing that has been the standard for the Aethers is the 500 watt floodlight available from big box stores and for many of us - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.    Received email from Northerntool this morning about "lowest price of the year" on this item.   Interestingly, their "new", "best price of the year"   is  $7.99   which was the "standard" price last year.     I suspect we can expect a bump up in price in the near future on these floodlights...    (my first guess would be $8.99)... 

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline zwiller

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2012, »
The design looks different to me.  Amongst other things, looks like the handle is attached directly to light fixture instead of stand.  Hope the interior dimensions did not change...  Last year for mine I removed the floor stand and made taller stand with a new mount and this new design looks like it will be more work. 

Anyone had leads on a good deal tranny's?
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2012, »
The design looks different to me.  Amongst other things, looks like the handle is attached directly to light fixture instead of stand.  Hope the interior dimensions did not change...  Last year for mine I removed the floor stand and made taller stand with a new mount and this new design looks like it will be more work. 

Good catch on the exterior changes.  I missed that when I posted the link.  ...    Also different handle...    Only way to know of any other changes is to get one   (arrrrrghhhh...  )

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012