Author Topic: Nutcracker: rewrote user gallery  (Read 1331 times)

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
Nutcracker: rewrote user gallery
« on: March 22, 2012, »
The user gallery software was running out of memory because of how many files there are now. I was scanning the directory and storing the files and then filtering for gif's.

Now i dont store the files into the array unless they are a gif.

I also made it so that your files will be grouped together.

Also made it so that you select only gifs by an effect class.

So, the effects gallery is back online.

I will get the copy an effect working by this weekend.

thanks
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
Re: Nutcracker: rewrote user gallery
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, »
Sean,

How much has this cost you to do all of this?

You should request a donation be put in to the sotre for your project time.

Two cents...

MH
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sean,

How much has this cost you to do all of this?

You should request a donation be put in to the sotre for your project time.

Two cents...

MH

So far, I have not had to change my current webserver costs.

I have these limits
30 seconds of run time
10 gigs disk space
1 tbyte of bandwidth/month

I used to be around 1 gig of disk space on my server for everything I had, in the last two weeks that has grown to 4gigs

I keep re-writing code to make it faster so it will fit under 30 seconds. Most things do fit, only large trees are outside the 30 seconds.

I am not allowed to modify the php.ini file, since i am on a shared server.
For those who are interested, here is what i am given to work under. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

We were running at 2-4 gigs of bandwidth/month  for normal usage of Nutcracker, since i put the tutorials up, bandwidth has increased to 2 gigs/day. That would only be 60gigs/month. I have a 1000gig/month limit , so i see no issues going forward.

So disk space and cpu limit are the two restraints. We are at 249 users now, one week ago we were at 200. The tutorials have helped people get over the initial learning curve, i believe.

I may eventually have to go to a dedicated server. This would remove all constraints, but it would be a $50/month increase over my current costs. I don't think i can sell that to my wife "$600/year would allow Nutcracker to run really good!"
This is one solution to dedicated servers You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I spend 30-80 hours a week programming in the evenings or weekends. I will be gone three days this weekend on a boy scout camping trip, so you wont see me then.

I expect to hit 1000 hours total on the tool by this summer. I have invested around 250-300 hours so far since i started january 16th.

But in the DIY many people contribute. What is the value of RJ's time and ingenuity? What about the coop managers putting in all those hours. I have joined in the same spirit to help make RGB devices affordable and accessible to a larger community. I plan on doing more animations for small rgb strings, something in the range of 2-4 strings in a ray pattern. I would love to see everyone be able to participate.

I have plans of making arches out of rgb strings. This means, of course, that the nutcracker should be making effects for arches by summer.
I still have avi movies, fireworks, snowstorms, a camera that will recognize where people are and change my display. I may have something that detects them waving their arms. I am thinking something like Kinect for Christmas displays. I have never had a crowd at my Mr Christmas , 6 channel display. Maybe at most , 2 cars. We will see what happens this next year. My display looks to be
64 channels of Lynx Express
1 wireless pair TX/RX.
Ethernet dongle
16 port hub
8 smart strings (If the wife says yes)
1 MR16
4 Aether's

I will see what i can put together with this.

If you want to donate to the Nutcracker, there is a pay-pal donate button on the target and effects web pages.

The tool will stay free.

thanks
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, by smeighan »
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline JDM1oc

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, »
Wow Sean!  All I can say is THANK YOU!  Sequencing has not been my strong suit, so I look forward to using Nutcracker and some pixels this year.  <res.

Josh