Author Topic: Using LOR software with LE controllers  (Read 7703 times)

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
Re: Using LOR software with LE controllers
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2012, »
The problem is LOR makes using their regular adapter so easy, yet DMX is a pain.  To me; I don't understand why these tools setup the networks in the sequence editors.  They should have a separate tool for hardware configuration.

Given the explosion of hardware over the past year, this will become even more of an issue for software developers as everyone has a menu of hardware options to choose from.

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2012, »
I did not find it to be so difficult. And I am sharp as a marble.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2012, »
The problem is LOR makes using their regular adapter so easy, yet DMX is a pain.  To me; I don't understand why these tools setup the networks in the sequence editors.  They should have a separate tool for hardware configuration.

Given the explosion of hardware over the past year, this will become even more of an issue for software developers as everyone has a menu of hardware options to choose from.

Do you really think that there isn't a reason for that?  Of course they are going to make using their stuff as easy as possible.  That is the easiest way to justify the cost of their commercial (and high quality) equipment to those that can afford it and don't want the issues that come with any DIY controller.  I give them credit that they set up for DMX and included the "Lynks" protocol.  Now lets see how long it will be before they release a pixelnet protocol. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2012, »
I understand both of the past issues. 

1). Dan at LOR is a smart person and where possible will duplicate or buy whatever good inventions people come up with.
2). Steve is smarter than he leads us on. :)

Now to get back on track; is this thing working yet?  I don't want to have to walk to the kitchen to fire up my show PC that should have been put away by now.

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2012, »
Yes, use only one ... And make sure your LOR control panel is set up to run on reboot (it's a setting) .... LOR relies on the control panel as a listener process (?) for using DMX ... Not obvious.  But it won't work without it and you'll get those errors your seeing.

Ok, in the Network preferences, I have only one set to Lynx. (see pic) Does everything in the picture look right and as it should be? And how do I set LOR Control Panel to run on reboot?

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2012, »
Not sure about the reboot. But everything is correct in your screen shot.
 The only thing you will have to do is close the sequencer and re-open it on order for it to control the lights.

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2012, »
The led's are dancing but I still can't get the information box to go away. I'm pretty sure it has to do with setting the reboot but I can't figure out how to change the setting. Also I tried to set up three LE's in a row without success. Each LE works fine individually. I set the first LE at 001, the second at 017 and the third at 033. Cat5 from the dongle to the first LE input, cat5 out of the first LE to the second LE input and cat5 out of the second LE to the third LE input. See pics

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2012, »
Here's a pic of the screen that won't go away. Also how do you post more then one pic at a time.

Once again thanks to everyone for the help. I'm sure you all have nothing better to do.  <fp.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2012, »
Does your test sequence include channels above 16?  You may also need to see where LOR defines it's DMX universes.  The default size may be only 16 channels.  To check for cabeling issues, all you need to do is set th third Express back to 001 and see if it follows the first Express.  If it does then you know that the problem is not in the cables.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2012, »
The LORComListener window will not go away.  Unfortunately that is normal. As long as there are no errors you are good to go.

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2012, »
 8) SUCCESS!!!!! Everything is working except for that stupid window. It was all in the channel configuration. I still had most of the channels set to LOR not DMX.  <fp. Now that window! I don't care that it is open the problem is it is messing with my computer. If I shut everything down even LOR the window stays up and if I try to close it it pops up and freaks out. I then have to reboot my computer because it takes over all my apps.

Thanks again for all the HELP!!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2012, »
I had the same problem with the DMX window going crazy when not in use.  I think the secret is to disable when your not using it.  I know its no big deal, but it annoyed me and I ended up going with xlights instead (not just for this reason).

Apparently if you have BOTH LOR and DMX mapped in your sequence, you cannot just test the DMX channels/hardware ... without an LOR adaptor also connected.

Right click on the Light-O-Rama icon in the toolbar to select the Launch at startup option ... that starts the LOR Control Panel at startup.

The LOR Comm Listener only comes on if all of the following are true:

(1) You have the LOR Control Panel running.

(2) You have at least one DMX adapter set in the Sequence Editor's Network Preferences dialog.

(3) You have the DMX Listener Port set to something other than 0 in the Sequence Editor's Network Preferences dialog.

So, if you don't want the LOR Comm Listener to run, then change one of those three things.  However, be aware that you won't be able to use native DMX devices while the LOR Comm Listener is not running.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2012, »
The Comm listener is always on and it is normal. To make it go away when you are done "playing" with the lights, Go back to your network page and undo the "DPB3lICZ". Just set it back to none and close the listener, and it will be gone. When you are ready to "play" again, just set it back.
Glad you got it all worked out.  8)

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2012, »
Thanks Steve, that worked. Now I just need six more LE's. I was the last one in on the 3rd LE coop. Pulled off the side of the road and on my phone typed in 3 please. Gotta love this place.

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2012, »
Ok, back to the comm listener. I know it is always on when running the LEs but is there away to have it hide on start up? Also with the two songs that I had already sequenced before figuring out the channel configuration I had to reconfigure every channel to DMX, Universe 1 and change the channel. When I sequence the next song is there away to have the channels automatically configure themself as DMX?