Author Topic: FIXED - 'operation failed' error when trying to program new etherdongle  (Read 11198 times)

Offline ztudahl

I had the same problem when I tried programming my EtherDongle.  The first time I connected my pickit3 to the EtherDongle and then ran the programmer it did a firmware update, and continuously gave the "operation failed" message.  I then tried programming my express again to see if the pickit3 still worked on that.  It did another firmware update and gave the same "operation failed" message.  Then, for some reason I pressed the button on the pickit3.  It then worked on the express.  I connected the EtherDongle again, it did another firmware update and still gave the "operation failed".  I then pressed the button again, and it worked.

Offline Penfold

• Brownsville, TX
The pushing the button trick seems to have worked for me.  Thank you!
♪Chicken go cluck, cluck
Cow go moo
Piggy go *snort* *snort*
how bout you?  ♪

dandyman

What happens when you press the button on the pickit 3? On mine, when I press the button, the red LED just flashes slowly and nothing else... still get the 'operation failed' message and have to unplug the pickit to get it to reset...

thanks for alll the suggestions...

Dan

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
Hi Dan,

Are you using the standalone programmer or the MPLab? to install the PICkit3 software. There was an updated software from the Microchip website that had to be installed before it would load the hex file into the Etherdongle.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, by bisquit476 »

dandyman

Just the stand-alone... WIKI says not to use the MLAB...

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
Are you using the auto import feature?

dandyman

Yes, I tried that also... can't think of anything else to try... possibly send the EtD to someone who has successfully programmed theirs to see if they can do something... disappointing, to say the least...

sjb

Maybe a silly question, but you are using a PICkit3 or are you using a clone version. As I am not sure if this would make a differance.

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
When you tried that auto import, did you have the hex file on your computer or was it direct from the Wiki?

Offline Penfold

• Brownsville, TX
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just the stand-alone... WIKI says not to use the MLAB...

You have to use the MPLAB to load the firmware into the pickit3 and update the software to look for the PIC32...... that the ED uses.  After you get all that straightened out then you can use the standalone.
♪Chicken go cluck, cluck
Cow go moo
Piggy go *snort* *snort*
how bout you?  ♪

dandyman

The pickit is the real one (not the clone)...

The hex file was on my computer...

I went thru the MPLAB firmware load for the pic32, but I can try that again... can't hurt :-)

thanks, all !!

Dan

dandyman

Well... I'm ready to toss this EtD...

Re-did the firmware in the pickit (attached)... made no difference... still get the 'operation failed' error...

sjb

Are you using a laptop? I had an issue like this and found out for some reason when I was using the PICkit3 it was sending the data to my USB mouse. Once I unplugged all USB devices except for the item to be programmed it worked. Maybe this is the same for you as it looks like it can not communicate with the chip either because it is not powered up or is sending the data to the wrong USB port.

Steve

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Well... I'm ready to toss this EtD...

Re-did the firmware in the pickit (attached)... made no difference... still get the 'operation failed' error...

Before you do that.

PM RJ to see about setting up a teamspeak chat

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline peteandvanessa

I looked up the error code that it's reporting (e.g. PK3Err0045 )

Here's some degugging info here: