Author Topic: FIXED - 'operation failed' error when trying to program new etherdongle  (Read 11196 times)

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
Ok, just my input might not be but, looking at you pics the 6 pin ICSP header solder joints do not look to good can you retuch them every other one then wait a few seconds then touch up the others.

Did you download the latest software from MPLABS. When I first tried to install the software from the CD that I got with my order from jsys it would not install correctly, I have to download the latest version and then it installed correctly.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, by TexasStingray »
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline caretaker

Your PICKIT3 is not seeing the PIC for some reason.  I would suggest a Stingray said to touch up your ICSP header pins and hold your PC board up to a bright light and make sure there is no solder bridges on the PIC chip. Also i make sure when using the PICKIT 3 software the it is set to power the PIC from the PICKIT 3. If after the above you still can't get it to program you may have to get some flux and retouch the PIC leads as may not have a good connection on some. RJ or others here can give you the best method of doing that.  Above all don't give up, I know it can be frustrating (I had a hard time getting my ED to work.) but hang in there as there are plenty of people here willing to help you.
Jeff Squires

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Power your ETD when programming it.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

dandyman

Thanks, Guys...

The error code was because I didn't have the EtD attached to the pickit when I was checking the firmware.

I have the latest software version from MPLABS (v8.84).

I have already touched-up the leads on both pics (did an inspection with a 10X eye loupe 'cuz a couple of the pins looked like they had cold solder joints - they are all nice and shiney now).

I even ran one strand of copper wire down thru all sides of both pics between the plastic case and the pins to make sure there was no solder bridge behind the pins that I couldn't see... all paths were clear.

I did continuity checks with one of my DVM's on the ICSP header (see attached picture... the board is the picture from the WIKI... not mine)... all points were fine.

The software is set to power the pic from the pickit. (tried auto and manual).

I have tried programming with and without powering the board with the wall wart... same error.

I had an offer thru PM (from a person who has sucessfully programmed his EtD) to send him my board to try to program the board... I may end up doing that just because I don't know what else to try...

Thanks, again, to all who have tried to help !

sjb

Have you tried unplugging all other USB devices except for the PICkit3?

dandyman

Yes, tried it with the pickit being the only USB device that was plugged-in (on two different computers... laptop and desktop)... also tried plugging into different USB ports...

thanks !

sjb

Dandyman.
As mentioned before, I am also new at this so I am just grabbing at straws, I have circled some areas on your board as I am not sure if the solder has to come through to make proper contact with the part. I am sure an experienced member will let us know if this is not the case.

Steve

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
i just tried connecting my eD to my Pickit3 about 5 minutes ago.  I didn't label either one. (i have one from each coop) so i decided to connect and see if i could read the firmware to find out which one is the right one.

after choosing the correct chip in the drop down, i clicked read. i got a message saying i needed to update the pickit 3's firmware.
did that, then got "operation failed" when i went to read the pic.

thinking that might be the new one, i connected the other one to be safe.  it read it fine.
i went back to the original one, and it read that one fine again.

i did get it, but i don't know how to recreate the error.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Penfold

• Brownsville, TX
Dandyman.
As mentioned before, I am also new at this so I am just grabbing at straws, I have circled some areas on your board as I am not sure if the solder has to come through to make proper contact with the part. I am sure an experienced member will let us know if this is not the case.

Steve

That might be true if you are etching a board yourself, but these through holes on these PCBs that are factory made usually have an eyelet that goes all the way through to the other side.  Even if you don't get solder to come out on the other side and you have a good joint on the lead side you usually are ok, although it's a good practice to try to get solder flow through the whole solder point. 

Try pushing the reset button on the Pickit3 when ever thing is hooked up and you have the hex file imported before you try programing it.
♪Chicken go cluck, cluck
Cow go moo
Piggy go *snort* *snort*
how bout you?  ♪

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
the pickit 3 doesn't have a reset button.  the button is for "Programmer to go"
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

dandyman

Thanks, sjb... I appreciate your looking and suggesting !

Penfold hit the nail on the head about the thru hole continuity... not an issue w/these boards...

Dan

Offline dcwehw99

• Beta Tester
I've been looking at the picture that has the PIC32.  Although it may not be anything but when zooming in on the PIC32 I can see a clear distinct separation between all of the ends of the contacts with the exception of two pins.  The pins are located on the left side of the PIC when looking at the PCB.  It is next to the 8 MHz oscillator.  Counting from the bottom of the PCB up to the top it's pins 14 and 15. As I zoom in the picture gets more pixelated but all the other contacts have a clear dark separation.  Those two pins remain grey, like a solder bridge.

Again it may not be anything but I thought I'd give it a shot.

Denny

Offline wwwgator

• S.E. WI
Ok...here is a new one....

After reading through all the links and threads....

I was getting a memory error when trying to load the DMX hex file ( downloaded 3 times to be sure it's the latest and greatest)

I get a failed memory error- see pic

Funny thing is, when trying to load the Pixelnet hex, it works ! verifies and everything.....

I wish to use the DMX file at my work bench as my current project(s) are using DMX. I'll try to connect to the SShub on pixelnet when I get home to see if it does work....

Any Ideas?
I know nothing......and I prove it DAILY!!!

Getting crazy ideas and breaking stuff since 1977

Master Electrician/ Electrical Inspector/ Evil Genius (apprentice)

dandyman

Did you change the pickit power applied to 3.5 volts (mine defaults to 3.3 volts after selecting the pic in the drop-down)?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Ok...here is a new one....

After reading through all the links and threads....

I was getting a memory error when trying to load the DMX hex file ( downloaded 3 times to be sure it's the latest and greatest)

I get a failed memory error- see pic

Funny thing is, when trying to load the Pixelnet hex, it works ! verifies and everything.....

I wish to use the DMX file at my work bench as my current project(s) are using DMX. I'll try to connect to the SShub on pixelnet when I get home to see if it does work....

Any Ideas?

Well this simple means you do not have a hardware issue in the ICSP circuit and that the pickit is working. Not sure why one will load and the other will not try downloading the file again in case it is a file corrupted.

The code is about the exact same size so it it not like bad flash would change the outcome.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying