Author Topic: FIXED - 'operation failed' error when trying to program new etherdongle  (Read 11195 times)

dandyman

Having helpers and two different kits sometimes doesn't work... not only does it take twice as long to do something (but it's a good 'grandfather/child' bonding experience), sometimes things aren't always as they seem  :) .

Somehow, instead of the 3.3v regulator, my helper handed me a 7805 (which evidently came from my MR 16 kit that I was working on also), which I promptly soldered into the EtD board w/o even looking (since I had already verified that the 7805 for the EtD was already soldered in the board correctly).

Long story short, I was playing with the MPLAB program (looking at the pickit3 settings AGAIN... when I got an error that there was an issue with VDD... that prompted me to take a look at the regulators and found that I had double 7805's... I de-soldered the 7805 that was wrong and soldered the 3.3v regulater where it was supposed to be and VOILA... programmed the first time  <fp.

Moral, i guess, is to check EVERY part before soldering  ;D

Thanks to everyone who took the time to suggest a remedy... hopefully, this will help someone else (especially if young helpers are involved)!

thanks, again....

Dan

sjb

dandyman

It is great to hear that you got it working. Boy a long drawn out process, but in the end it is great to hear that you found the issue.

Steve

Offline RJ

• Administrator
It is almost always the simplest thing that get you. We always look for the big problem and it is normally the little one.

Glad you found it an got working.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying