Author Topic: Converter program needed  (Read 671 times)

Offline mmais68569

Converter program needed
« on: April 07, 2012, »
I am looking for a program that will convert asm files into hex files. I have tried about 10 found in Google with no luck. Anyone have a simple one that works???

Mike

Offline rm357

Converter program needed
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, »
You need a compiler...

Asm files are assembly language source code and are specific for the type of processor that the code was written for. Using the right compiler will create the object code that can then be stored as a hex file depending on the compiler options you select.

There are many flavors of assembly code and most of them are not portable... Some work is almost always required to translate the code if you want to use it on a different processor than the one the code was written for.

If the code is for a pic, you can download mplab from the microchip website. If you have a pickit (which you will need to load the hex file into a pic anyway), the compiler should have come on the disk that came with it.

If the code is for a different processor, look for the manufacturers website.

RM

Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline JonB256

• My website
Re: Converter program needed
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, »
Open the ASM file in Notepad to see if it gives you a clue about the source code's intended target platform. Some are more readable than others, for sure.

It should also list any other files (libraries and includes) that will be needed during the compile. Without them, it won't be successful.