Author Topic: Misfires and LED's  (Read 1130 times)

Offline elmo2resc

Misfires and LED's
« on: April 07, 2012, »
Has anyone had problems with the LE’s misfiring when using LED’s? I ask this because I have been a Renard user and have come across issues with misfires along with many others. Wayne J at DIYC may have solved the mysterious problem. See the link

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The reason I ask is I have two LE’s that bcstuff was kind enough to help me out with due to missing the coop’s. I have not installed the triacs yet. I have not seen to many posts in regards to misfires and the LE’s. I am slowly planning on converting to the Lynx designs but want to avoid a potential problem. I am currently running around 500 channels Renard. I plan to use the LE’s wireless then run the Renards behind them with DMX firmware until I replace them all. The LE’s I have are Ver. 5.0 with the triacs being labeled BTA06-600S. I can’t seem the find the spec’s on this triac. They are looking to change to the BTA06-600CW for the Renards. Anyways, I’m not real familiar with the Lynx systems yet and I am just curious before I solder them in.

Thanks, Jerome
Jerome

Offline meman

Re: Misfires and LED's
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, »
Jerome,
I'm on my third year with the LE's and use nothing but LEDs of every brand and range of quality I have amassed over the years. I've never had any of them go on or off without my permission....but of course they will remain in the same state they were in at the end of a sequence. I think this may have tripped up a few folks who have reported that their lights were "on" when nothing was running. The real test is to break the connection between the dongle and the LE....if lights are still on at that point, you would have a reason to suspect the LE.

I don't want to jinx myself, but the LE's do seem to be bulletproof....a short will always destroy a triac instantly, so I keep a couple extras on hand just in case.
Get one soldered up...I think you will like them.

Mike E.

Offline rm357

Misfires and LED's
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, »
The v5 LE has snubber resistors built in to ensure that the LEDs do not false trigger or stay on when they should be off.

The LE and most of the equipment here retains the last command sent. If the lights are on and you disconnect the DMX, I'm pretty sure they will stay on.

If the DMX light is lighting on the LE with the dongle attached, then I suspect something at the LE. Try changing the start address on the LE and make sure that it is not still in "set address" mode... That tripped me up on my first one.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA