Author Topic: Wireless units used for Conductor and Slave?  (Read 7145 times)

Offline Zeph

Which wireless units work with the Conductor (to slave)?  Any links?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Wireless units used for Conductor and Slave?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, »
No not until the beta is over and they are avaliable.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Rod R

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, »
Hi RJ, been away for awhile overseas just getting back into it.  I read thru some of the threads about the conductor wireless units but didn't catch any specifics I know you mentioned at one time last year it to be and off the shelf item that one could up for $30-$50 that a DLA'er could pick-up,  can your release that info yet?   I could have very well missed something since I'm trying to get back up to speed since the coop is going on, will keep digging but since this thread is here I thought it would be a good spot to update the info if there is an update.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, by Rod R »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, »
Asus-330N is what Keith and I are using.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You can buy them here:

$39 each!

RJ

Offline Rod R

• Coop Manager
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, »
As always, thanks for the update and posting the info RJ.

So I take it that you would need at least two of these units one for the conductor and one for the pixelnet hub, if I have more than one hub that is far away then I just purchase another one of these wireless units correct.  If not we can just daisy chain as we normally do with the pixelnet out of each hub.  Oh yes good price with the rebate going on now till the end of the month :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, by Rod R »

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, »
Greetings,,,

The units are connected to the EtherDongle, just as if they were hard wired ethernet connections.  One per each, if you have multiple EtherDongles including slave units working together.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, »
Conductor and slaves connect via cable to the hubs. It is the conductor and slaves that are wireless. The hubs will never be wireless as they have no brains to understand ethernet data.

RJ

Offline Rod R

• Coop Manager
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, »
That's right forgot to include the slaves as part of the solution see what jet lag does to you  :o.  So one conductor multiple slaves connect to each hub if you what them to be wireless.  I'm going back to bed.

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, »
you would use something along the lines of :  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

to connect your etd/conductor and/or etc/slave to a wireless network/access point. 

Need to hook them up to a computer 1 time to program wireless SSID/password etc, then after that, just plug them into the ethernet port, apply power and they will link the units to your wireless network

Myk

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, »
Or just use three of them one on computer, one on conductor and one on slave. Then use the wifi in your android phone. So you are connected everywhere.

RJ

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, »
Forgive my crude hand drawing - but something like this.

Wireless router/access point can be a dedicated or something you already have in your home.  If dedicated - it dot NOT have to have internet access available to it, just DHCP so it can assign address on its wireless....

Myk

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, »
mycroft, in your drawing you show the Wireless Router as "passing" or "relaying" the signal from Master to Slave.  I think it would be independent (as in, no wireless router need be involved).

RJ or Keith, is that correct?

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, »
Greetings,,,

Once everything is set up, you don't need anything else to use between the wireless units.  But you can manually interrupt and start shows, or just observe the shows with a computer or Android unit.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, »
If you are going to use a computer/smartphone etc to monitor/control functions of your conductor, it will need to be connected to your network, either hard wired or wireless..

Otherwise conductor straight to slave would be in adhoc mode and they will only talk to each other and nothing else - so you would not be able to the the PC control panel software to sync the time, disable it etc.....

I am going to assume the sync signal is a output multicast as one conductor can sync many slaves.

Again, perty uch anything can be used to get the signal from one device to another, wireless - a router if you already have one will work, a AP - which just relays wireless to other devices connected to it, or adhoc which is single device to single device.

adhoc was designed to allow like laptop to laptop connection without a router/AP - single point to single point

Myk
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, by mykroft »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, »
If you are going to use a computer/smartphone etc to monitor/control functions of your conductor, it will need to be connected to your network, either hard wired or wireless..

Otherwise conductor straight to slave would be in adhoc mode and they will only talk to each other and nothing else - so you would not be able to the the PC control panel software to sync the time, disable it etc.....

Myk

This is not correct.

The wireless units we have shown can be run in many modes. I have run one on the conductor one on the slave and eanit through my house system as you show.

I have also used three of them to build a network by putting one on the computer one on the conductor and one on the slave.

In both cases the phone will control it fine.

RJ