Author Topic: Wireless units used for Conductor and Slave?  (Read 7146 times)

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
Re: Wireless units used for Conductor and Slave?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, »
then you have one in either  Router, Access Point, or Hotspot, and the other 2 in ethernet adapter mode

same as what my drawing showed

my suggestion was just a cheaper choice if you hadd a wireless router already....

Myk
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, by mykroft »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, »
Correct but they can be there own network then.
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, »
I have purchased one of the ASUS wireless units.  I configured it as a network adapter.  However it is telling me that it has an IP address of 192.168.220.1 when my wireless router is on the 192.168.0.x network and gives out addresses on that network.  Where is the ASUS unit getting this ip from and how would I communicate to it via my home network.  I am confused.  Seems to me that if the ASUS wireless is getting its address from the router it should have an address like 192.168.0.xxx which is what my computers, tablets, and adroid phones get.  Very strange.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, »
Ok so this is clear as mud to me! I already have a wireless router, but I would like to control with my Droid...so... do i still need the Asus routers? AND if so do I need one for each conductor\ETD and Slave\ETD unit?

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ok so this is clear as mud to me! I already have a wireless router, but I would like to control with my Droid...so... do i still need the Asus routers? AND if so do I need one for each conductor\ETD and Slave\ETD unit?
You have to get the signal to the therdongle somehow.  You could use a wired connection or you would need to get some kind of wireless unit to connect to the etherdongle that will then connect to your usual wireless connecton.  The ASUS unit can be configured to be a wireless network connection to a network capable device that does not have its own wireless.  Since I want to put the active hub, powersupply, etherdongle in one box outside my house I need a way to get wireless inside my outside box.  This appears to be the way.  I then have only one power connection cable to that box, but a lot of pixelnet wires coming out to all my SSCs.  That is the plan anyway.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, »
I ordered 2 Asus units and my next question is; will my Cisco wireless router comunicate with those units or will they only comunicate with each other?

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, »
Greetings,,,

In order for the Conductor Control Panel to work, other wireless items, such as computers running the Control Panel, and the Android units, can see the updates from the units, and send commands to them.  Just as if the items were connected with wires.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline johno123

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2012, »
Sorry for bumping an old topic, but I'm running into some interesting issues (probably non-supported)

Instead of picking up the Asus units, I had in the closet a linksys router that was reflashed with 3rd party sveasoft firmware to turn it into an AP.  On the other end, I have a normal linkys wireless router that it talks to and runs DHCP, etc.

Basic layout is [Home Computer] -> [Linksys Router]  <--> [Linksys AP]  <---> [ED w/ Conductor] <---> [Smart Hub]

Good news:  The Conductor will relay show information and time information to my home computer.  I can also plug in a laptop to the AP's wire ports and get an IP from the master router and control the Conductor from there.
Bad News:  I cannot seem to send commands from the home computer via the control panel software to the Conductor over the access point connection.  It almost feels like I entered the wrong password.  I can click start show, change the time, etc and nothing happens on the end.

I assume that this is nothing more then packets not being able to be sent from my home pc all the way to the ED.  But the ED sending broadcast packets back to the control panel seems to be working just fine.  Is that a good assumption?  If so, that doesn't seem too bad as I can monitor the show but not edit any of the parameters without running a cat5 cable out the window if I need to change anything.

Otherwise, I guess I can pick up three Asus units and have one on the home computer, one on the ED, and another one for a slave if I determine to expand this year across the street (still in progress).

Thanks!

-John-o

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2012, »
So is the AP a different subnet?  Sounds like a multicast/routing issue which could be the case if the AP is on a different subnet from the PC.

What RJ is normally talking about with the conductor/slave configuration and wireless over the Asus devices is the sync traffic. That is different than the communication information you are looking at in the control panel.

Offline johno123

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, »
Ahhhh, that makes a lot of sense that the sync traffic could be handled but not the conductor control panel.

AP is on the same subnet, but I am curious if my routing tables or something similar is off - like my show computer is trying to connect to the conductor and the router is sending the traffic to the WAN instead of over to the AP.  Guess I'll do some google-ing to see how to configure the dang thing correctly.

Just so I'm clear, does the control panel also send multicast packets that the ED/Conductor picks up?  Same in the opposite direction?  Or does it actually grab an IP address that I can configure with routing tables?

-John

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, »
I have not gotten it specifically from RJ, but I know you do not have to have an IP address assigned for it to work, so it has to be multicast. 

So how is the Linksys AP connected to the Linksys router, just in bridge mode?  Is the WAN port on the AP connected to the Linksys router, with the Etd in a LAN port?  I'm not sure I understand specifically how your are configured yet.

The reason I ask is because I bet multicast is making it one direction and not the other.  If you are crossing a a WAN port in one of the Linksys devices, even if it isn't really the WAN, I think it might be dropping multicast.  Or at least not sending it both directions.  I expect that would give the behavior you are seeing.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2012, »
Actually. in order for it to work, the device needs to have an IP address assigned to it and the ETD does.  It is hardcoded into the firmware and is not assigned by the user.  Devices can send out and subscribe to multi-cast sessions but they still need an IP address of their own. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
Wireless units used for Conductor and Slave?
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2012, »
You're right. It will work in windows though without manually assigning an IP address or getting one via DHCP. I believe this is because windows will assign a reserved IP without telling you.  The conductor does have an assigned multicast address, but not an addressable unicast address which is what I was trying to explain, although not very well.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2012, »
Mine on the asus do both sync packets and allow me to control it from the computer or phone. So it is not just for the sync packets. Wanted to clear that up.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2012, »
RJ, how do you have them configured?  In Ethernet adapter mode?  That would make sense. Where I would expect an issue is if someone was trying to push multicast through a routed or firewalled connection.