Author Topic: Aether 2 case  (Read 4409 times)

Offline MSL

• So many lights, so little time!
    • 26streetlights
Aether 2 case
« on: April 18, 2012, »
Will this work for the Aether 2?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Priced at $8.97.

Does anyone have a less expensive case?

MSL
Holiday Lights in Plantation, Florida

Over 20,000 LED and RGB lights. We currently are running 3020 channels (320 Lynx Express / 2700 RGB Zeus and Smart String channels / 3 Aethers II).

Our show can be seen on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
Re: Aether 2 case
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, »
I got this one myself

Offline thestig

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, »
I am pretty sure the 250 watt light at home depot has too small of a case. The light listed by twooly does work. However, they are not in stock at any home depot around here and you can not order online.

Stig
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, by thestig »

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, »
i'm pretty sure that it will be too small.  there are some larger 500 watt boxes which are too tight.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, »
Home depot will usually have a front store special for the correct light around fathers day. It will only be a special and will not be stocked with the normal stock lights. You may want to wait a few weeks. There will be time.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, »
there are a LOT of the good units at some home depot stores.  just not any in my immediate area.
one thought is another san antonio road trip to get a bunch for me... i conceivably could get more for others and bring them to the academy.  but i'd want firm commitment.   

(i suppose i could return them to the local store if not all were collected at the conference...)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline meman

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, »
Pretty sure the 500 watt halogen from Northern Tool was the reference standard when RJ designed the dimensions for the Aethers heatsink...they go on sale for a couple of bucks less a few times a year.

All other lights may require a bit of ingenuity to get the heatsink to fit and still be able to tighten down the glass cover to keep everything watertight. Especially if you are using a lens which adds quite a bit of height to the whole assembly.

Harbor Freight has a similar light that can be had for around 5.99 when they go on sale. (I used these)

Lowes has a red light that some folks were able to use the last time around.

Mike E.

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, »
Pretty sure the 500 watt halogen from Northern Tool was the reference standard when RJ designed the dimensions for the Aethers heatsink...they go on sale for a couple of bucks less a few times a year.
can this be confirmed?  RJ??

i don't mind paying a little more if it means avoiding a day spent driving out of town.  but i also want to avoid ripping up a unit to find it doesn't fit well.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, »
It was, Unless it has changed that is the light I built the units around. Users later found that a number of other places buy the same light and resell it so it is avaliable at other big boxes.

Lets not start an unapproved Coop on them.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline keitha43

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, »
I picked up some locally last week. The picture on the box looks different but the unit inside looks like the one in the wiki.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, »
I picked up some locally last week. The picture on the box looks different but the unit inside looks like the one in the wiki.

You mean you picked up the one from Northern Tool ?

Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline keitha43

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, »
Yes

Sent from my THUNDERBOLT using Tapatalk 2

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, »
Home depot will usually have a front store special for the correct light around fathers day. It will only be a special and will not be stocked with the normal stock light

Since it is Father's Day today ... had anyone seen the Aether 500W flood on sale yet ?
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline MSL

• So many lights, so little time!
    • 26streetlights
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, »
Hi All,

I've been going out to the Home Depot web site weekly since I first posted this in April to find the “500 Watt Halogen Work light” (Model #L-18P / SKU #521896) as in the second post here. Different stores around my area showed anywhere from 1 to 21 lights in stock. I went to a few of them to find nothing on the shelf. After a few times going to the stores I just started calling only to be told that they had nothing on the shelf. I have been expanding my search to where I am now into neighboring counties.

Today I found a Home Depot in the next county that showed 21 in stock. I called to make sure. The person in electrical looked and said he had 21 in stock. I drove to the store, went into the electrical department to the area that they keep the work lights and found nothing on the shelf.

A little upset I went looking for the person working the department to "explain" why I was upset. The fact that I called to check.. the responce from the person who said he was helping me... the fact that he said he checked and there were 21 in stock.... my gas wasted..... my time wasted.....  <md..

The unsuspecting employee I found, it turns out, was the one I spoke with on the phone. When I asked about the work light he asked if I was the one who called. I told him I was and asked where they were! He took me to another area of the store which you would not have thought of looking for the work lights and there they were; all 21 of them.

After calming down I explained to the little angel that I have been looking for these for two months. I have gone to several stores that showed they had them in stock to find empty shelves; even started calling first only to be told that they did not have any on the shelf (no matter what it showed in stock).

The extremely smart and intelligent salesperson told me that these are what they consider "seasonal". If it is not the season they are put off to the side, maybe in another department or on the top shelf (where you wouldn't see them) to be stored for later. If the person working the floor does not know that, they would go to the section were they show the work lights (as I did), and assume (incorrectly) that they do not have any in stock.

What the young man, who I am sure will be making his way up the corporate ladder, told me was that if it shows in stock but is not on the shelf to ask the person in the department if it might be in another area where they store there seasonal items. You might get lucky.

Happy Fathers Day!

Mark
Holiday Lights in Plantation, Florida

Over 20,000 LED and RGB lights. We currently are running 3020 channels (320 Lynx Express / 2700 RGB Zeus and Smart String channels / 3 Aethers II).

Our show can be seen on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
Aether 2 case
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, »
I also found these in a different area not by all the other flood lights