Author Topic: how to map channel numbers to pixels  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
how to map channel numbers to pixels
« on: April 23, 2012, »
I've not been following closely in the last several weeks, but I'm getting back into it now.

Question #1:  How do you map pixels in Nutcracker to channels in LSP2 (or your favorite sequencing program?)

Question #2:  How would you skip over channels? 

Example:  pixels on any given string must begin and end within a specific universe... so having string 17 should not begin off of hub1 and end in hub2.

Example: if I configure my SSC in hypbrid mode I want to skip over the first logical channel on the string to have the second begin my real pixel data.

Answer??  I suspect that you import the sequence data from Nutcracker and then adust the channel start numbers for each controller to meet any guidelines or restrictions.  Right?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
Re: how to map channel numbers to pixels
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've not been following closely in the last several weeks, but I'm getting back into it now.

Question #1:  How do you map pixels in Nutcracker to channels in LSP2 (or your favorite sequencing program?)

Question #2:  How would you skip over channels? 

Example:  pixels on any given string must begin and end within a specific universe... so having string 17 should not begin off of hub1 and end in hub2.

Example: if I configure my SSC in hypbrid mode I want to skip over the first logical channel on the string to have the second begin my real pixel data.

Answer??  I suspect that you import the sequence data from Nutcracker and then adust the channel start numbers for each controller to meet any guidelines or restrictions.  Right?

I have waited for anyone to tell me they would smarter mapping. As people start to use it, i will offer that.

Currently, I output the string number that is in your target file. When i build targets, i start at string #1 and then increment by 1.

If you tell me that a target is made of 18 strings, i will map to strings 1-18.

I could do logical breaks if someone would explain the rules to me for a particular sequencer.

Maybe i should output hex numbers, make sure i dont cross from string 16 to 17 and such. I have never been given any "rules".

feed them in and i will make the Nutcracker do what it should.

Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, »
With LOR, DLA, and who knows how many other technologies... I don't think you should try to apply the variety of rules.   

I do think you can help and improve the deployment... But there are so many factors that you should enable but not enforce.

For example, an  implementer might reserve a block of addresses for DMX dumb strings, that your strings should avoid. 

Another situation might call for putting half the addresses on one etherdongle, and another bunch on a separate dongle with addresses atarting over again at 1.

So... I suggest each string have a field to assign its network/unit number, and another field for the starting channel number.  My 40 strings would have 40 starting channels.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline smeighan

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, »
With LOR, DLA, and who knows how many other technologies... I don't think you should try to apply the variety of rules.   

I do think you can help and improve the deployment... But there are so many factors that you should enable but not enforce.

For example, an  implementer might reserve a block of addresses for DMX dumb strings, that your strings should avoid. 

Another situation might call for putting half the addresses on one etherdongle, and another bunch on a separate dongle with addresses atarting over again at 1.

So... I suggest each string have a field to assign its network/unit number, and another field for the starting channel number.  My 40 strings would have 40 starting channels.

That is what i planne din my first target generator.

When u tell me the number of trings, i would prompt for what code  you wanted assigned to that string.

For me internally, i would treat your 40 strings as 1-40. When creating an output file for LOR/LSP/Vixen i could put the designator you had.
Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, »
Sean,

Any more thoughts on this topic?

How about a more specific request:

For each string, allow the starting channel number to be overridden.
This solves several issues:
  • a contiguous block of addresses should not be contiguous due to smart hub boundary issues
  • decision to use hybrid mode in the SSCs.  the first logical channel controls the string, but if you set it to '0' then all of the pixels that follow can be individually controlled.

I'm not sure yet how/if I will use hybrid (I might want it for the songs that are LSP and not nutcracker sequenced), but if I do, then nutcracker must skip/ignore the first pixel where hybrid is configured. 

Allowing me to assign a starting channel in nutcracker allows me to skip the first logical channel based on my implementation needs.
Allowing me to assign a starting channel for string 17 allows me to place it on the next hub and not straddling between the first and second hubs.

Offline smeighan

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, »
Sean,

Any more thoughts on this topic?

How about a more specific request:

For each string, allow the starting channel number to be overridden.
This solves several issues:
  • a contiguous block of addresses should not be contiguous due to smart hub boundary issues
  • decision to use hybrid mode in the SSCs.  the first logical channel controls the string, but if you set it to '0' then all of the pixels that follow can be individually controlled.

I'm not sure yet how/if I will use hybrid (I might want it for the songs that are LSP and not nutcracker sequenced), but if I do, then nutcracker must skip/ignore the first pixel where hybrid is configured. 

Allowing me to assign a starting channel in nutcracker allows me to skip the first logical channel based on my implementation needs.
Allowing me to assign a starting channel for string 17 allows me to place it on the next hub and not straddling between the first and second hubs.

If i allow you to override the starting pixel of each string, will that work?

In other words once you give me the start, i would expect the rest of the string to be consecutive.

So if you jave 48 strings, i will create a table and prompt for 48 starting pixel numbers (default would be 1)

Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, »
Perfect! >.d9