Author Topic: ETD or dmx Dongle for newbie  (Read 1144 times)

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
ETD or dmx Dongle for newbie
« on: September 04, 2012, »
As my daugher has moved into our house, and I will not be able to do lights this year, she is showing interest in keeping my lights going. I have sold  my etd and  dmx dongle so I am wondering what would be better for her. I have my first three express boards that i built  ( didnt sell them pride thing ). I was going to use the dmx dongle for the epresses and the etd for ss stuff. Now my thinking is that if the conductor comes available then I could supply her with sequnces and that will help her try to keep the lights going .just use one universe on the etd. not sure which would be better for her . I know she will have help here on DLA, as she will becoming a member sometime this week YEA :) any imput would help as she is in college and won"t have time to do all the programming . I can convert some of mine down for smaller channel count . that is why I am thinking etd -conductor and supply her with sd cards. All depending on if conductor come available this year. Any thoughts or imput would be helpful. She caught me by suprise. lol

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
Re: ETD or dmx Dongle for newbie
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, »
I would consider going the EtD route for all the reasons you mentioned.  There is a bit more of a 'learning curve' (but not drastically so!) on the EtD vice using the DMX dongle, but nothing that is too daunting.  I can give you advice on what works since I just went through this with my daughter last year.  I would recommend that you teach her Vixen and the basics of sequencing (how to get the profiles working, how to preview, how to setup the computer and channels etc).  I would then teach her a few of the plug-ins (taptempo etc.) and have her sequence some small songs.  Key is to keep her challenged.  If her time is not available all the time, make sure to keep a few small side projects that she could help with.  Maybe something like you have seuqenced all the things except a few key elements and have her do those when she can. 

------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login