Author Topic: Nutcracker: What effects would you like to see?  (Read 30746 times)

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
Lets use this thread to accumulate effects you would like to see incorporated into The Nutcracker.

Best for me is if you include a video link and tell me the effect and the timing mark in the video.

thanks
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Nutcracker: What effects would you like to see?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, »
I'd like a "fade" effect.  maybe a checkbox for fade-in from black, and another check for fade-out to black... or better a time period for each.

I expect that I'll transition from one effect to another, and I worry that it will be jarring to the observer. 

i suppose its unneeded if you use LSP or another editor to provide transitions in the gaps between Nutcracker effects.

BUT, if nutcracker eventually offers a "direct to xLights" format, then it will be unnecessary to even purchase another sequencing solution for your tree.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline smeighan

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'd like a "fade" effect.  maybe a checkbox for fade-in from black, and another check for fade-out to black... or better a time period for each.

I expect that I'll transition from one effect to another, and I worry that it will be jarring to the observer. 

i suppose its unneeded if you use LSP or another editor to provide transitions in the gaps between Nutcracker effects.

BUT, if nutcracker eventually offers a "direct to xLights" format, then it will be unnecessary to even purchase another sequencing solution for your tree.

Yep, we certainly have fades.

I have to design for all 3 sequencers.
Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, »
Hi Sean,

Can effects be created for RGB window frames?

I would assume the end user would need to enter the number of nodes for two sides (like top and one side). To allow for a square or rectangle window.

Thanks

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, »
As I prepare to build additional Coroflakes, I have wondered about how effects would be applied to my target model.  Since a tree is basically a grid laid over a conical surface, would I just use the tree's (or ray's) target model as a starting point until I import the geometries that describe my coroflake pixels?

Even then, I think the effects mighy be missing...  the effects that I think would be well-suited to a circular arrangement of pixels are more along the line of spirals, moving concentric circles the emit from a center point, or moving 'spokes' that rotate around that center point.

...just planting seeds to see if any take root.

question:  are there similar effects already available for the matrix model?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, »
My window frames are one continuous string and I have 4 of them across the house all identical in size.  I'm thinking I could create a "tree"  with 4 strings and use effects like meteors, snowfall, etc.  This config would not do much with spirals or butterfly type stuff though.

Hi Sean,

Can effects be created for RGB window frames?

I would assume the end user would need to enter the number of nodes for two sides (like top and one side). To allow for a square or rectangle window.

Thanks

Rick R.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline smeighan

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, »
As I prepare to build additional Coroflakes, I have wondered about how effects would be applied to my target model.  Since a tree is basically a grid laid over a conical surface, would I just use the tree's (or ray's) target model as a starting point until I import the geometries that describe my coroflake pixels?

Even then, I think the effects mighy be missing...  the effects that I think would be well-suited to a circular arrangement of pixels are more along the line of spirals, moving concentric circles the emit from a center point, or moving 'spokes' that rotate around that center point.

...just planting seeds to see if any take root.

question:  are there similar effects already available for the matrix model?

Hi Steve;

As u know the nutcracker effects all are created two different ways
1: I model rgb device and use a math equation to findthe nearest pixel.
Spirals
2: develop a math function that returns a value based on x,y parameters
Butterfly
3: just base effect off of strand and pixel.
Meteors, snowstorm,animated gifs,garlands

I am trying to create more effects using methods 2  and 3 because they don't care about the physical dimensions.

So.  ...
Meteors, for example, just needs strands and pixels to work. No x,y,z locations are used. Build a target model that takes your device and maps it into nutcracker strands and pixels and the effects work.

Having said all that, I do plan on building effects specifically ozone web targets

A) if I get the budget, I want to build a coro from holiday coro. If I do get one of those, I will creeate a whole effect class that will optimize effects just for the star
B) I want to build rgb arches. If I do ( time and money) I will createanothereffect class just for arches. I am thinking of linking multiple arches together and sequencing them as on unit.
C) i want to build frames around my windows, if I do I will add another effect class for them.

Others I was thinking of adding to was a Marty fan, poles, snowfall tubes

Thanks
Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline gsxrgirl7

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, »
Wow, all those things would be great!
"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"
Helen Keller

Offline Danbe

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, »
I like to see CANADA flag   Thank

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, »
A couple of effects that would be nice to see.

- a standard spin by color with or without a background or second color
- a random effect that would just make some percentage of the bulbs turn on and off randomly for a period of time  probably could include a percentage of bulbs lit at any given instant and maybe a background color.  Picture a green tree with random twinkling colors in it.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, »
Jim,

Both your suggestions are good ones.  I agree especially with #1.  This is standard mega tree 101 effect that most use with dumb string effects (which I think you are asking to mirror).  #1 would be more complex than a standard dumb tree though, for example should include things such as number of 'strings' to use, number of 'legs' for the spin, direction of spin, color start and color end so you can have them go from one color to the next over time, fades, 3d effect, etc.)

#2 should not be that difficult to build as it incorporates things already built (aka twinkling effects and background color algorithms).

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, »
#1 is still possible and pretty easy in hybrid mode.  Just use the first 3 channels for the strings.  That is what I am doing at least, but I agree, it would be nice to have it as an option as it would make doing the colors easier with the integrated color picker he has.

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, »
The problem with hybrid mode is that you then have to make a lot of adjustments because of having the first channel in front of all the others and trying to use the standard effects of spirals, garlands etc.  Maybe once start channel is fully implemented that could be a possiblity.  I used hybrid mode last year as a way to get my old sequences running and then began updating some of them to full RGB mode, but I see a lot of problems trying to use hybrid mode with Nutcracker for this year.  Any way this discussion is off topic for this thread.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, »
What I did was create my channels without the hybrid channels included.  I did this with Emmanuel's plugin - Tree Profile Addin.  This creates the channels without the extra 3 channels per string.  So my sequence starts out with the extra 3 channels per string at the beginning grouped together and then I add the individual nodes using the plugin after them.  This allows for both node and string mode programming and allows you to insert nutcracker effects correctly.  Then just reorder the outputs to place the string mode channels before the appropriate string/nodes when done.  Hopefully that make sense.

-Keith

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, »
Sean, on the online home page for nutcracker you show two examples of vertical bands.  But I can not find them in the gallery to copy or any info on how to create them.  They would be a good start for straight up and down vertical chases that I would love to play with.  Can you provide info or copy to my library (123).  Thanks
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA