Author Topic: DMX Dongle Question (wiring)  (Read 2995 times)

Offline thedementedelf

• Demented Elf Productions
DMX Dongle Question (wiring)
« on: April 27, 2012, »
I have a Lynx USB to DMX dongle, I also have a protocol convertor. And of course lights.  I'm trying to figure the wiring out. 

If I take the output of the dongle to the DMX in of the convertor, do I still need a controller in there somewhere to get them to do all the color changing?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline thedementedelf

• Demented Elf Productions
DMX Dongle Question (wiring)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, »
I have a Lynx USB to DMX dongle, I also have a protocol convertor. And of course lights.  I'm trying to figure the wiring out. 

If I take the output of the dongle to the DMX in of the convertor, do I still need a controller in there somewhere to get them to do all the color changing?

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: DMX Dongle Question (wiring)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, »
Lynx USB Dongle outouts DMX on the first 2 pins on the RJ45 jack  (white orange/orange)  it's just basic DMX, so any DMX device should work.  you only need a convertor cable, if the pins on the input of your dmx device are different.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, »

reply in this copy of the thread...
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rm357

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, »
You didn't say what kind of protocol converter, but assuming that you have something that converts DMX to a pixel protocol and pixels that use that protocol and everything is hooked up correctly and you are using the DMX firmware in the dongle, you just need to use something like vixen to program a sequence.  You could also use the color picker or lynx deck to do simple testing.

The dongle by itself does not generate any test patterns. It just acts as an interface between the software you are using and the other hardware.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline caretaker

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, »
In the simplest setup you go from your USB output to the LYNX dongle then via cat5/6 cable to a LYNX Express or MR16 dimmer.  The Lynx dongle is very similar to the Entec Pro dongle and will control any DMX device including other dimmer packs such as Light O Rama or D-Light if they are setup for DMX AND you will need to make a conversion cable.  You can also flash the Lynx USB dongle for Pixelnet and run a Pixelnet active hub to use Smart Strings (RGB pixels) and still be able to output DMX.  If you need more help feel free to ask questions here or you can PM me and I will be glad to help you out.
Jeff Squires

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, »
no need for two of the same posts.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required