Author Topic: ****Solved****Etherdongle set up with DMX in LSP - Need help!  (Read 2070 times)

Offline peteandvanessa

So I've been working on setting up my DMX channels in LSP.

I'm running the following:
1. Latest Light Show Pro
2. Etherdongle set up as E1.31 (Wirelessly from Laptop to ethernet hub, dongle connects to Hubs via ethernet flashed for Pixelnet)
3. Two 16 Port Active Hubs
4. Various LED Flexstrips
5. Two AC16 D-Light Controllers (now running DMX since I changed out the chips to allow me to address them as DMX controllers)

The problem I've having is getting the AC16's set up in LSP

I've set them up like this:

1. Hub one set up for PixelNet address jumpers 1 and 1, DMX jumper set to 8 (because my AC16's appear as channels 3898-3929)
2. Hub two set up for Pixelnet address jumpers 2 and 2, DMX jumper set to 1
3. FlexStrips are set up (and programmed for) with different addresses, from 1 to 3897
4. First DMX AC16 is programmed address starting at 3898 and end address 3913 (e.g. 16 channels)
5. Second DMX AC16 is programmed address starting at 3914 and end address 3929

Now, if I set it up this way, it doesn't work in LSP.

I can set the AC16's as lower channels numbers (e.g 1st AC16 to channel 1-16, and 2nd AC16 to channel 17-32)
and it works in LSP, but my LED light strips get screwed up, because the first Flexstrip is 120 nodes, so it's address is in the same range (e.g. Channel 1 to channel 360)

What am I doing wrong?

Any ideas how it should be set up correctly?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, by peteandvanessa »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Etherdongle set up with DMX in LSP - Need help!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, »
I am lost :o

Your DMX devices can not be set as any number higher than 512 so you have something going on there but not sure what.

Set one of your units to dmx channel #1 to start and and plug it into the hub jumper for pixelnet #1,1 and DMX #1 the unit should work off of software channel #1.

Then once you see that work set you hub to pixelnet #2,2 and the unit should work off of channel #4097 but the device will still be DMX channel #1.

Does that make sense?

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am lost :o

Your DMX devices can not be set as any number higher than 512 so you have something going on there but not sure what.

Set one of your units to dmx channel #1 to start and and plug it into the hub jumper for pixelnet #1,1 and DMX #1 the unit should work off of software channel #1.

Then once you see that work set you hub to pixelnet #2,2 and the unit should work off of channel #4097 but the device will still be DMX channel #1.

Does that make sense?

RJ

I think so, so I'm going to set my 1st 16 channel controller for DMX #1, and that will take DMX channels #1 to #16
The 2nd 16 channel controller will be set for DMX channels #17 to #32

Jumpers on hub one will be set at 1 & 1

Now for my Smart strings, should they also start at 1 (e.g my 1st smart string has 120 nodes, so it starts at channel #1 and runs to channel #360

Doesn't the smart string channels about then overlap with the two 16 channel DMX controllers above?

If they do, then I guess I need to set my start channel for my 1st smart string at channel #33 to #393

Offline rm357

Etherdongle set up with DMX in LSP - Need help!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, »
3898 = e1.31 universe 8 DMX address 314. You need to set the physical dmx address on the first ac16 for address 314.

You have selected DMX universe 8, which starts at logical address 3584. However, the hardware DMX addresses can only be between 1 and 512.

3898 = ((DMX universe#-1)*512) + 314

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
3898 = e1.31 universe 8 DMX address 314. You need to set the physical dmx address on the first ac16 for address 314.

You have selected DMX universe 8, which starts at logical address 3584. However, the hardware DMX addresses can only be between 1 and 512.

3898 = ((DMX universe#-1)*512) + 314

RM
wow, finally I understand the problem. But also the solution.  I'll try changing the address tomorrow.

Offline peteandvanessa

RM357, your da man  <res.

I went back and changed my DMX Physical addresses. The first AC16 Controller I set to DMX address 314, and the second AC16 Controller I set to address DMX 330.
Plugged everything back in, fired up LSP and wammo all the lights now work.

Thanks for your help everyone, it's very much appreciated. I struggled for 1 1/2 days on this last part of the set-up.

Now it's all working I can get back to sequencing.