Author Topic: Splitter....  (Read 7683 times)

Offline DanHouston

Splitter....
« on: April 30, 2012, »
I am laying out some permanent wiring from where my etherdongle to a couple of starting points for DMX devices. What I would really like to do is come out of the etherdongle and split to 2 runs, then at the end of each of those runs use the combiner (in reverse) to break out to 4 DMX universes. There a way to do this?

I've attached a picture that shows what I think I'd want to do.
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Splitter....
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, »
what you suggested will work.

use a rj45 splitter, and a combiner in reverse. :)

the splitters can be obtained for a couple bucks.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, »
Great! I thought I had read somewhere the RJ-45 splitters would not work....Think I have a couple of those lying around.
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, »
Would you be expecting 4 universes of DMX?

The splitter/combiner just takes the 4 sets of wires (single cable) coming out of the etherdongle and splits them out to 4 sets of Lynx compatible DMX format connections and or does the reverse.

If you are trying to split a DMX signal that requires some electronics to control the signal loading.

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, »
I'm expecting the same 4 universes at two different locations, and splitting them before they hit the combiner (to cut down on cable runs).
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, »
I expect problems doing this. I would run to one hub then from the active output to the other. We do not have pixelnet splitters yet but they will come.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, »
The reason that RJ developed the DMX splitter is that you can't send the same DMX signal to two different locations using a hardwired splitter. You ould need a Quad DMX splitter (or 4 of the DLA DMX splitters with a special hardwired cable arrangement See attached drawing.

|-->

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, »
are the splits to go to different parts of the yard, or to go around an object (like a driveway)?     If so, then yu would need an active hub in place of your splitter in your diagram. it safely splts the signal to 2 outputs, and regenerated the signal in case you have long cable runs. whats nice is if you're NOT putting anything else in this area, you can easily use an old atx power suplly you might have laying around to power it. If you MIGHT add some thigs later on, you have powered ssc outputs, AND a DMX output at this location in the yard, sso rather than just splitting, you have options.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I expect problems doing this. I would run to one hub then from the active output to the other. We do not have pixelnet splitters yet but they will come.

RJ

No pixelnet here.

I flashed the etherdongle for DMX and have 4 universes coming out. I'd really like to send the 4 DMX universes to 2 locations. It looks like the DMX splitter here is dead? (a component no longer available)

So it looks like the problem with a hardwire split has to do with signal reflection and signal strength?
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, »

RJ

No pixelnet here.

I flashed the etherdongle for DMX and have 4 universes coming out. I'd really like to send the 4 DMX universes to 2 locations. It looks like the DMX splitter here is dead? (a component no longer available)

So it looks like the problem with a hardwire split has to do with signal reflection and signal strength?

If you looked at my diagram (Dual DMX Drops.pdf) you would see that not only 4 the current DMX splitters would be needed but at least 5 combiners.

RJ is supposedly going to redesign the splitter to replace the transformer but I bet it's not on his priority list.

What you want to do is potentiall a good idea for running 4 universes of DMX to two different places but there isn't a good solution today.

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, »
Yeah I looked at your drawing, and that is with the current stuff, and my understanding is the DMX splitter is not available anymore. I am looking to split the full 4 universes coming out of the etherdongle to two other runs of the full 4 universes.

I know the "splitter" I have in my diagram is not on this site anywhere (I dont' think), so I was looking for options to achieve what I wanted to do.

Maybe I'll take this on as a project to try and learn more about circuit design....Anyone wanna help? :)
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, »
Dan-
  I'll certainly help with the design.
/mike

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, »
RJ is supposedly going to redesign the splitter to replace the transformer but I bet it's not on his priority list.

The new splitter design is alive and well although I don't know when they will be available.

Offline dmoore

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, »
The reason that RJ developed the DMX splitter is that you can't send the same DMX signal to two different locations using a hardwired splitter. You ould need a Quad DMX splitter (or 4 of the DLA DMX splitters with a special hardwired cable arrangement See attached drawing.

It's not DMX that is "split" - it's RS-485 and it is possible to passively split RS-485.  There are some limits to doing this but I've personally split a single RS-485 line coming from an Lynx Dongle over 90 different T drops, each with a non-repeating controller.  Of course there are limits and those revolve around termination, wire length, shielding, load, etc.  This is an excellent article on the subject:

This may also help explain the difference between DMX and RS-485:

Offline einstein2883

• Beta Tester
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, »
Isn’t the simplest solution to just get another etherdongle and put them both on the network?  In way your spliter is just a network switch.