Author Topic: Splitter....  (Read 7682 times)

Offline davron12

Re: Splitter....
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It is like the DMX splitter, except it is for pixelnet.  It has one input, a passthru, and two regenerated outputs.  It works like the pixelnet output of an active or passive hub without the SSC ports.

You can use it when you need to split a pixelnet run to two places and don't want to tie up a hub.  It also regenerates the signals so you don't run into issues with too many pixelnet hubs or devices on a cable.

Could this also be used as a dmx splitter or would it only work with pixelnet data, or would that require a different version of the firmware?

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2012, »
There's no firmware involved, since there is no micro on the board.  I haven't tried it with DMX, but I think it would work. 
/mike

Offline davron12

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2012, »
Oh, I see now. I didn't pay close enough attention to what ICs were involved. It's basically a rs485 repeater for each of the 4 pairs of pins on a rj45 jack. So it shouldn't make any difference on the data transmitted.

Offline tpctech

« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2012, »
Trying to avoid the engineering technobabble, it all depends on how lucky you are... The split itself is going to introduce an "impedance mismatch" in the wire which will cause reflections of the signal and distortion. If you are lucky, it won't be a problem. If you are not lucky, you will get errors in the transmitted data. Since we use one way communication, there is no opportunity for corrections to the data errors...

If you want to dig deeper, you can explore transmission lines and smith charts. However, you don't need to know any of that stuff to have fun with blinky...

Wow Smith Charts....I remember those from college!  You said it well. back up a couple posts to checkout the data about RS-485 it works very well when used within the specs.  I install DMX and network based DMX systems for a large theatrical lighting company.  We are going away from DMX splitters and going with more DMX network nodes.  It is not uncomon to have 8-10 DMX networks nodes all set to the same universe in a theatre install.  The system I am installing right now has 2 24 port POE switches with about 30 active DMX or Network devices.

KEN

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2012, »
There's no firmware involved, since there is no micro on the board.  I haven't tried it with DMX, but I think it would work. 
/mike
I've tested DMX and it works.
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced