Author Topic: MR16 choices are unclear to me  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
MR16 choices are unclear to me
« on: May 07, 2012, »
gonna start my mr16s now, but had a question...

The manual says...

Locate the Mosfet 16 transistors and install them as shown above to complete the MR16 Controller if you will be using them for higher output. Make sure and face the flat metal side of them toward the white rectangle side of the part outline on the board.

If you are going to use it in constant current mode leave them off and jumper the pads that have the ovals around them.

What is "higher output"?   It sounds like there is a choice to be made... could someone explain the choice and what are the impacts?  I want to use this for 12v dumb RGB... maybe plastic nodes, maybe 5m flex strips.  Does this qualify as "higher output"?  maybe its talking about 24v?

The other question is the "constant current mode".  Again, what is the choice and the impact of that choice?

It sounds like there are variations of the MR16 based on the choices... the ones above, and the voltages.  So, it sounds like attempts to buy assembled kits must be clearly state what is being bought and sold.

Thanks in advance for explaining.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: MR16 choices are unclear to me
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, »
for dumb strips, strings, you want the mosfets...   leaving them off would be for small currents like a single (maybe small amounts) of leds.

the mosfet acts kinda like a triac for bigger loads that the chips (on the mr16) can't handle on their own.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: MR16 choices are unclear to me
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, »
thanks, Chris.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro