Author Topic: Light Brite - custom model for nutcracker?  (Read 1705 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
I've got an RGB megatree STAR topper ... which is a variation of the holdman star and adds custom flares ... and uses 89 smart string nodes.  I've got four such rgb stars in my display.  I'm also willing to provide and/or share this design with the masses.  Its really my Dad's invention.

My question would be ... is there any way to define such a custom model into nutcracker?  I was just wondering if a more generic way that could essentially allow nutcracker to accept one of these "light bright" models ... meaning you define which elements you used within an, x,y grid and perhaps give it some node sequence/order ?

Even if the model was just limited to a fixed sized grid/matrix ... and then you could define the x,y combinations used and assign a sequence#.

I defined this start into various groups in LOR and could program is pretty easily that way, or even at the node level ... but I feel like the real power will come in sequencing this star spatially with nutcracker effects being applied against a spatial x,y grid and then impacting the appropriate nodes at the correct times, etc.  I have one of these you can play with in person if you want.  The effects that even this 89 node star can do are amazing and I know I'm only barely skimming the surface in terms of whats possible.

I put these on 11-12' "mini megatrees", and each star contains a single SSC which is embedded within the star chassis itself. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
Re: Light Brite - custom model for nutcracker?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, »
I'm also willing to provide and/or share this design with the masses. 

Sounds interesting Taybrynn. I'm interested!
Leesburg, FL

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, »
I've got an RGB megatree STAR topper ... which is a variation of the holdman star and adds custom flares ... and uses 89 smart string nodes.  I've got four such rgb stars in my display.  I'm also willing to provide and/or share this design with the masses.  Its really my Dad's invention.

My question would be ... is there any way to define such a custom model into nutcracker?  I was just wondering if a more generic way that could essentially allow nutcracker to accept one of these "light bright" models ... meaning you define which elements you used within an, x,y grid and perhaps give it some node sequence/order ?

Even if the model was just limited to a fixed sized grid/matrix ... and then you could define the x,y combinations used and assign a sequence#.

I defined this start into various groups in LOR and could program is pretty easily that way, or even at the node level ... but I feel like the real power will come in sequencing this star spatially with nutcracker effects being applied against a spatial x,y grid and then impacting the appropriate nodes at the correct times, etc.  I have one of these you can play with in person if you want.  The effects that even this 89 node star can do are amazing and I know I'm only barely skimming the surface in terms of whats possible.

I put these on 11-12' "mini megatrees", and each star contains a single SSC which is embedded within the star chassis itself.

that would work.

i would make it a little more complete by imaging the center of the star is the top of a tree.

Start with nutcracker pixel 1 always as the center, now count pixels as u go away from the center.each line coming from the center would be a nutcracker strand.

get a spreadsheet
col A = your string #
col B=your pixel#
col C=Nutcracker strand#
col D=nutcracker pixel#.

send this 4 column table to me and i will make it into a target data file

thanks

Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, »
How would inner star (cross) be handled?  Thats the part thats got me stumped ... would I invert it and treat it as an upside down tree or something?
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, »
How would inner star (cross) be handled?  Thats the part thats got me stumped ... would I invert it and treat it as an upside down tree or something?

start from the center, pixel 41, now draw paths to the outside. the same pixels can be used in multoiple strands. An example is all of the freen lines. Each green line starting from the center and moving outwards is a strand.

Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, »
Thanks, I'll work on putting this into a spreadsheet and then you can review and make sure I did it correctly.