Author Topic: software problem on windows xp  (Read 6494 times)

Offline royce

software problem on windows xp
« on: May 24, 2012, »
       SOLVED
  Got my le and ed built. Everything was  going so smooth. Hooked everything up like should be and there was no blinky. Ran the sequence  on another pc everything worked like it suppose to work.   PROBLEM it don't work on the lap top that I'm using for the Christmas display. The pc has windows xp on it. The  framework 2.0 and 3.5 is installed. I ran cat5  from the pc to the ed no luck. Then hooked it through the router to the ed it didn't work. I get a data signal to the ed, also no signal from the test channels. Yes i used a crossover. Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, by royce »

Offline MrChristmas2000

Re: software problem on windows xp
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, »
If you have both a wireless and an ethernet network adapter in your notebook and use the wireless connection for your internet/network connection you will have to configure your ethernet adapter with a dummy network address before the broadcast will be sent to that ethernet port.

I forgot to do it at first. See this thread. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, »
Did you load the firmware on the EtherDongle?

and the proper setup/ dll file for the EtherDongle for the software that you are using?

Rick R.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, by rrowan »
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline royce

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, »
 Got ethernet dummy address done that didn't solve the problem. The firmware on the ed  and setup/ dll file for the ed is ok.

Offline Rogelio

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, »
I have been trying to help Royce get his system working.  All of his hardware works correctly.  I have tested it on my and other computers.  We even run it just from his flash drive.  His laptop has framework4.0 installed.  Do we need to find and install 3.5?  Ed is flashed with DMX.  lynx-etherdongle plugin is in output file.  Everything seems to be selected properly.  The ED light flickers when data is being sent but he gets no output to his express. The DMX signal must not be getting to the ED.  His laptop is an older one, requiring a crossover cable.  we even tried connecting thru the router.  Never any signal to express.
We gave his LAN connection a static ip address and it is now connected.  Even Disabled the wireless connection.  no luck.
Im not sure what you mean by a dummy address for network adapter.
Same problems for his desktop PC also.  Has to be something common to his network setup.  His entire house network is wireless.

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, »
I would suggest trying xLights Lightnig Test next and see if that works.  What DMX jumper setting do you have set?  What channel number do you have the Lynx Express set to?  How are you configering the E1.31 plug-in? 

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, »
If you connect the ed directly to a systems ethernet port and it is set for DHCP then the ethernet will never get an IP address and therefore never send ANY data to the ethernet port without and address. A dummy address is required by the OS for it to include it in its broadcast domain.

Offline Rogelio

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, »
we have connected it directly and thru the router.  directly required a crossover cable. neither work.  we set a static ip for the local area connection TPC/IP properties.  I set it in the same range his router provides.
is that where you are talking about needing a dummy address?

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, »
When you are connecting an ethernet connection to a router with DHCP (most routers today come defaulted to using DHCP) you don't have to do the dummy address, only when you go direct between the PC and the dongle ( the dongle has no DHCP).

Offline Rogelio

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, »
I understand. But when you say "dummy address" are you refering to a static ip address set by me?  If so, then that is not our problem.  I have done that. and we also connected to router with DHCP on automatic.  So he has 2 computers, a laptop and a deshtop, neither will get his lights to flash.  I can have his system working on my computer, unplug the ED and plug into his and it wont work.

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, »
Could a firewall cause this problem?

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I understand. But when you say "dummy address" are you refering to a static ip address set by me?  If so, then that is not our problem.  I have done that. and we also connected to router with DHCP on automatic.  So he has 2 computers, a laptop and a deshtop, neither will get his lights to flash.  I can have his system working on my computer, unplug the ED and plug into his and it wont work.

Have you tried using your router in place of his? How about using his notebook on your network with the ed?

The local broadcast may be getting blocked by the router even though this is not the usual default condition. If his notebook works with his ed on your network then the quickest way to fix things might be to review the routers config then do a hard reset to factory defaults and resetup the wireless info.

Yes, when I refer to a dummy address it is a static IP address that points to a non exsistent network.

Offline royce

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, »

I disabled the fire wall, that didn't work. I'm not using the router yet, I"m plugging in the ethernet on the lap top. All i get is a signal to the ed. The lynx express set to 001. Configuring the e1.31 plug I"m not sure what that's about. I'm the brightest one in the bunch. lol

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, »
Didn't I see someone go through a similar debugging process only to find that there was a solder bridge on the surface mount chip? It might be a good thing to get a maginifying glass and look it over very carefully. A solder bridge can do strange things.

Offline Rogelio

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, »
Yes Mr.C I saw that posting too.  But his dongle works on my computer and 2 other computers at work.  Someone more familiar with software is going to have to assist him.  Ive done all I know to do.  He may have to wait till the Academy to get it working.  We have not traded routers because we dont live close to each other.  We do our troubleshooting at work.