Author Topic: software problem on windows xp  (Read 6498 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: software problem on windows xp
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, »
If it works on one computer with a cable but not the other the problem is on the computer for sure. Do you have the network card setup complete. compare settings with the computer that does work.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, »
Ok, so you have confirmed that his dongle works on your network.

Any device plugged into the router is subject to its routing function. That can include the blocking of broadcast addresses.

The way that I brought up my ed was as follows.

I connected my eD to my notebooks ethernet port. The PIC should be programmed for DMX. Without a combiner/splitter you will only have access to the first DMX univers of 512 channels.

I disabled my wireless interface.

I set my ethernet port to have an address of 192.168.1.1, mask 255.255.255.0, and default gateway 192.168.1.1.

Then I started Xlights selected Network and selected add an E1.31 interface with the first IP address as 239.255.0.1, Universe 1, and Last Channel 512.

This gets you your basic setup ready to test.

Close the Network setup.

Select 'Lighting Test' from the still open menu.

Unless you have other networks the first network 'Network 1' should be showing.

With something like a Lynx Express connected to the eD and set for DMX address 1 and some lights connected to output 1 you should be able to select channel 1 in Network 1 then using one of the 'Standard' test you should be able to get the lights to come on.

xLights has it's own built in E1.31 driver.

This process takes all user software such as LSP, Vixen etc out of the picture for testing.

If that dosen't work on the notebook then try it on the desktop.

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
  I disabled the fire wall, that didn't work. I'm not using the router yet, I"m plugging in the ethernet on the lap top. All i get is a signal to the ed. The lynx express set to 001. Configuring the e1.31 plug I"m not sure what that's about. I'm the brightest one in the bunch. lol

What software are you using?  How do you have the software's plug-in configured?  Is the data light lit on the Lynx Express?  The Etherdongle accepts E1.31 from your PC.  To test, you need to use a program that outputs E1.31.  Mr. Christmas provided details on how to setup xLights.  Thats what I would try next.

Offline royce

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2012, »

Installed xlight everything worked. Software than I'm running is windows xp home version 2002 service pack 3. vixen 2.1,framework net 3.5, etherdongle output plugin is version 2. The lynx express  data light is on. <fp. 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, by royce »

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2012, »
royce,

Given the info you are posting it's hard to diagnose your problem.

What setup worked?

What did you install xLights on? Laptop? Desktop? etc.

What firmware did you uninstall? Did you reprogram your PIC? Why did you reprogram your PIC if things were working.

Details Details Details.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2012, »
I might be remembering wrong, but wasn't someone having a similar issue with the latest vixen ed plugin and had to resort to an older version?

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2012, »
Thats correct the latest ed vixen dirver does not work for everybody. You have to use the first version. I had the same problem getting vixen to output a test program.

The other discussion link is:

and the driver link is:
Download EtherDongle - Vixen ver 2.1 EtherDongle output plugin - ver 1

Offline royce

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2012, »

YEAH  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK'S  O WHAT A RELIEF IT IS. I installed the older version of the etherdongle output ver-1. Sorry about the information . I'm thinking you know what i mean, i have that problem myself. Computer skills i don't have. All work was on the laptop, the desktop i'm not going to use. Thank's again for everyone's help. Now i can sleep. <pop..

Offline Rogelio

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2012, »
Glad you got it working.  I didnt even know there was a version 2 etherdongle plugin till yesterday.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2012, »
Rick if you know where the second version is they are talking about can you pull it for me? If it is not working we should pull it to prevent other people from having it. If we posted it I am sure we had some people try it so not sure the difference.

RJ

Offline keitha43

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  Under etherdongle.

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2012, »
RJ,

I think only certain computers are having problems with the new hex file, not sure if it needs to be pulled. Maybe put a note that if the V2 file doesn't work, try the V1.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2012, »
RJ,

The Vixen plugin is having problems with DMX EtherDongle firmware only, it works fine with the Pixelnet Firmware.

We have talked about this before.

I will add notes to the wiki to help explain.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2012, »
Thanks