Author Topic: DMX Lasers incorporated into a Halloween Shows - Anyone done this?  (Read 1171 times)

Offline peteandvanessa

I'm planning to run Light Show Pro with the Ether Dongle and two Smart String Hubs that connect to LED Flexstrips.

I've broken out a single DMX universe on the first Hub and planning on adding a second DMX universe on the second Hub for a DMX laser.

The one I'm thinking of going with is this one here:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Obviously I'm planning to connect it via DMX and know how to connect the cables to the Hub.

But has anyone successfully got a DMX laser to run under LSP?

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
I'd be a bit hesitant to use lasers where members of the public could manage to do something stupid to their eyes.  ::)

Offline rm357

+1 on Gary. I let my show run unattended. You would have to be really careful with a laser - both where it is mounted and where the beams are pointed.

Kids are kids, they do stupid things... Sometimes because they don't know any better, other times on purpose...

Also, be aware that if you are not just drawing pictures on a wall, you will probably need a really big fog machine. To see the laser "beam" you need a lot of small particles in the air for the beam to bounce off of. Smoke, fog, pollen, etc. Outside, the fog will tend to dissipate quickly as the space is not contained...

Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
I'd be a bit hesitant to use lasers where members of the public could manage to do something stupid to their eyes.  ::)

+1

because some lawyer would sue you for providing the way for someone to do the stupid stuff to themselves.

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
An attractive nuisence is what they call it here.  Kind of like having a swimming pool, no matter how many layers of fencing and protection you put around it, if someone gets in and gets hurt you are still liable.   >:(
- Mark

Offline thestig

Are the lasers really that bright? My aethers worry me as I have blinded myself with them numerous times already. They are crazy bright.

Offline rm357

Yes.

The thing about lasers is all that light is concentrated in a single spot. While a laser pointer is unlikely to do any permanent damage, a laser projector is much more powerful. If hit by a scan, it's probably about like a laser pointer, but if the beam is stopped for any reason, you are in dangerous territory.

With something like the aether, it saturates enough of your vision in a way that makes you blink and turn away. A laser doesn't do that... All of its energy is focused into a small area where it can damage the retina.

Any visible laser is likely to cause flash blindness from even a very short or scan type exposure - typically this is not permanent damage, but it can take a little time to dissipate. Like looking directly at a flashbulb on a camera.

I am only talking about potential damage to the eye.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, by rm357 »
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline peteandvanessa

I'm being very careful before deploying any Lasers. I'm reading and following the guidelines in terms of height, distance and reflective surfaces from the manufactuer.

I'm planning on running mine, only when it's attended, and even then it will be in a secured area with the laser being at least 30 feet from the audience projected onto a side wall of my house.

I haven't tested the set up yet, though, but I am moving very carefully with this one.