Author Topic: HLS new light software  (Read 7407 times)

Offline barbotte

HLS new light software
« on: May 24, 2012, »
i am not sure if it is the right place to put it this but does anyone using that new HLS software ??? it is a new contender in the light softwre and there is a lot of good think about it ... the topic start at the DIY site and it kind of explode as its deal with pixel and normal light too  ... you can read all about it there You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
the only problem is that it does not support the dmx entec pro yet but i was ask if i wanted to be the beta tester for it ,,,,,the only problem is that i am far from being a expert when its time to sequence stuff so i was wondering if anyone who is good at  sequence would volunteer to be a beta tester
cheer
Ps if i bend the rules then delete the post
here are some of the fact

HLS is designed with the following limits.
Max Channel count 30,000
Max Universes - 75
Max PixelPlanes - none - just bounded by Universe and Channel count.
A sequence 30,000 channels will play in a show all day long on a standard PC with 4 gig of memory.
You can play a show with 20 or more sequences - each sequence containing 30,000 channels - all day long - on 4 gig of ram.
cheer
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, by barbotte »

Offline angus40

Re: HLS new light software
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, »
I ran hls with 56 universes out putting data and did not use more than 1.25g of ram .

Great software .

Offline rm357

HLS new light software
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, »
My question is what does this bring to the table that is new?

Nothing stood out in my quick glance.
Vixen is free and has many features.
Light Show Pro is pretty expensive, but it allows me to do most of my sequencing in a video editor...
(I have a lot of video experience as I'm the editor for a weekly church service)
Everyone can use Nutcracker.

The 24 channel sample video showed him manually naming the channels.
I had something on the order of 3000 channels last year... ... ... ...

So the question again: What new thing does this bring to the table?
I want to know - Impress me!!

RM

Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline LondoB5

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, »
What I would like to see is a sequencer that doesn't kill the processor so much. LSP is kind of a dog, even on a high end quad core box (I still like it, and it is the sequencer I use). I haven't used Vixen for a year or so, and I've not used any of the others. If I remember correctly, it's not about the RAM, it's about the processor hits....but you guys can correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline angus40

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, »
Until you try it , you won't fully understand its capabilities.

Ie) if your use to sequencing on timeline like vixen , 2.5 or earlier versions .

hls has some features that simplify the procedures.

for example rgb is 3 channels on 1 timeline . if your using inteligent pixels hls

has a pixel plane that again is 1 timeline that can have up to 75 universes of data on it .

I sequenced a mega tree that is 672 pixels =4 universes of 504 channels on 1 timeline using the pixel plane in hls.

Also it is memory that you need be concerned with as far as sequencers go , if your cpu is a concern the p-4 days are long gone , time to upgrade the pc :)

Hls is freeware and impliments nutcracker files with ease.

hls is well supported by its creator Joe Hinkle, whom is also developing his own brand of controller.

So go ahead test it out see for yourselves what its all about .

Good luck .

Offline rm357

HLS new light software
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, »
Is anybody really running 38,400 channels (75 universes) for a home display?

Can it map videos to groups of pixels?
Does it have tools for doing things like scrolling text?

It was stated that it was tested with 56 universes - were there 28,000 channels of lights hooked up, or was it just a synthetic test?

RM
Robert

Offline angus40

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Is anybody really running 38,400 channels (75 universes) for a home display?

Can it map videos to groups of pixels? << avi  Joe is working on this.
Does it have tools for doing things like scrolling text? <<<Nutcracker loads into hls flawlessly

It was stated that it was tested with 56 universes - were there 28,000 channels of lights hooked up, or was it just a synthetic test?<<<<<< yes i had the e681 hooked  up with 50 tls 3001 pixels on each universe.

I am the 1 that set up 56 universes and ran it for over 8hrs, i posted screenshots at diyc of the pc performance .

here is the pics. with  and without other apps running on my pc.

pc specs pic also .
RM
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, by angus40 »

Offline angus40

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, »
Just for grins , how about you setup lsp with 28 universes of data and run a play list of it , no need for you to attach lights  as data output is data output.

then post a screen shot of your pc performance while the playlist is running !

just to do  a comparison .

this is 1/2 the universes I tested hls with .

also I was running nutcracker effects on all universes fromthe start until the end of the song.

I am sure the results will impress .

Cheers.

Offline rm357

HLS new light software
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, »
Oh, I agree LSP has issues, but I only ran 8 universes (1 pixelnet universe) last year and am only thinking of 9 or 10 this year. I don't have enough lights to go much past that.

I used xlights as my player and it worked flawlessly on an ancient laptop - we are talking gateway 200ARC
1.4GHz Pentium-M, 512MB RAM - if it gets hit by lightning, it's no big loss.

As for LSP, I had a time getting the effects right so that it would output a show file without crashing. It seemed to be some kind of event limit that I kept running up against. My sequencing computer is an i7 laptop, but LSP did not use most of the available threads... I don't want to use this one as the player - If  it gets hit by lightning, it'll cost $1500 to replace... I don't want to hook this one to a wire that runs outside...

And no, the LSP file would not run period until I converted it to an xseq file for xlights.

Where LSP shines is the ability to map video. I did very little individual channel sequencing. I used mostly video clips and the matrix animator.

The key thing that I'm picking on with all of the universes is that you need to either have some lights hooked up or have a separate machine emulating the output. The color spirals running on my tree need continuous data flow. If you miss an update, the tree will get the jitters and jumps. Something you won't see unless you have lights hooked up.

I'm not saying anything bad about HLS - I have no basis by which to pass judgement.
I'm just a bit skeptical... And as someone once said, "In God we trust, all others must bring data."

To the developer, keep at it... When I get some free time, I'll take a closer look.

RM
Robert

Offline angus40

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, »
Imho hls is a diamond in the making .It has a short ez learning curve , handles huge channel counts with ease , as i have tested , no gitter bug like vixen  ( however vixen is upgrading  so i don't have a comparison to the updated version ).

low resources required to run a show  and great support by the designer .

end rant .

try hls and you won't believe its capabilities .

cheers.
richard

Offline angus40

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, »
Joe has enabled entec pro usb > dmx  into hls and updated the version .

Thanks Joe .

Cheers

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, »
Joe has enabled entec pro usb > dmx  into hls and updated the version .

Thanks Joe .

Cheers

I have no skin in this game as i try to be sequencer agnostic. I can tell you the file that i need to create for HLS is easier than lsp,lor or vixen. I liked that he collapses the many thousand channel sequence that nutcracker produces onto a single line and then allows you to fade in/out and adjust the length of the nutcracker effects.

Having looked at vixen 2.1, lor s3 and lsp 2 they all have features that he does not have. LSP seems to have the most whistles and bells but i think it might suffer when it comes to PSR tests. PSR = Performance, Reliability, Scale ability. I mean in LSP you connect a WII guitar.

Joe only started writing his sequencer this last January. If he keeps adding features, it is going to be cool.

You know he must have struck a chord somewhere because this one thread
has 200 posts and 9000 views.

I am committed to getting a native LSP file. I already have vixen, lor and hls. I dont know why i set this as a design goal, real pain in the tush.
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline keitha43

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, »
Unless there is an easy to import LSP and other software formats into HLS it wouldn't be an option for a lot of people as we would't want to have to resequence everything again. I was hoping smeighan would have nutcracker outputting LSP files in time for training at the Academy.

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, »
Unless there is an easy to import LSP and other software formats into HLS it wouldn't be an option for a lot of people as we would't want to have to resequence everything again. I was hoping smeighan would have nutcracker outputting LSP files in time for training at the Academy.

I was hoping smeighan would have nutcracker outputting LSP files in time for training at the Academy.

i am hoping the same thing.

can someone who has lsp create a simple sequence with 2 or 3 rgb strings. If you could do a chase on each string in some primary colors and then send me the msq file. a video of the sequence would be even better.

I am in the process of reverse engineering the msq file. i need a simple file to make this easier.

Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jess_her

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, »
It does support DMX now, Joe has been working hard. It's kinda geared towards pixels.
Any reasonable request he's incorporating into HLS, you got his ear.
Check it out and enjoy
Jess
Only limitations in life is your imagination