Author Topic: New Feature Request  (Read 9416 times)

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
New Feature Request
« on: May 26, 2012, »
Can you add the ability to send values for channels 1 & 2 so the it could be used to program controllers like the MR16?
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline dlhoppe

Re: New Feature Request
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, »
I don't own an MR16, nor do I have any idea how it is programed. I think it somehow uses DMX, but not sure of the details. Since the DMX tester is not really meant to be a "programmer" and one (lynx address utility) already exists for that purpose, I would vote no on this request.

Dave

Offline rm357

New Feature Request
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, »
Ultimately it is up to you as the bobcat's creator, but there is one key advantage over the lynx address utility... You have the bobcat tester with you rather than carrying the laptop and a dongle with you into the display or running back and forth between the laptop in the garage and the display... Been there done that. I had most of the hardware programmed before I started, but swapping out misbehaving units sometimes required re-programming on the spot.

I'm looking at building an test app for my iPad which will allow me to send e1.31 data, but since time is a premium and I've never written code for the iPad before, I've got a bit to learn first...

Most of the DMX lynx stuff uses the first two DMX channels with the other channels set to zero. 1 thru 255 are done on channel one with channel 2 = 0. Channels 256 thru 510 are done by setting channel #2 = start channel - 255. With channel 1 set to 255.

The DMX stream is sent continuously while you play with the power and program jumper on the device.

Of course, part of the question is Whether or not you wired the first digit to go further than 0, 1, & 2...

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, »
 <pop..
Leesburg, FL

Offline n1ist

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, »
Not an issue with the display hardware (it's a mulitplexed display, and the micro can show any pattern of the seven segments and decimal point)...
/mike

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, »
[Most of the DMX lynx stuff uses the first two DMX channels with the other channels set to zero. 1 thru 255 are done on channel one with channel 2 = 0. Channels 256 thru 510 are done by setting channel #2 = start channel - 255. With channel 1 set to 255.[/quote]

I'm sorry, that kind of went over my head. I'm sure it's my lack of understanding. Can you break this down into simpler terms as to how the "lynx address utility" works from a DMX output stanpoint? I looked around for a document in the wiki, but couldn't find one.

If it's purely a matter of DMX data output, I could probably throw some code together and give it a try. The challenge would be to find a way to "indicate" that it's in "program" mode. It would have been nice to wire in the other two decimal points on the LED display, but we didn't. We'd probably have to use a flash pattern on the third decimal point for this.

Offline n1ist

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, »
There's a program jumper on the target device.  If the device is powered up with the jumper in place, it will take the first two channel's data as the starting address.  So what's needed is a mode where we can set either the value of the first two channels separately, or where we enter a start address from 1 to 511 and it fills the first two channel's values with address%256 and address/256.  As for the decimal points, they are muxed like the other segments, so we can independantly drive them.

/mike

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, »
Like he said, channels one and two are used with the rest set to zero.  For anything below 255, you set the dimming level of channel 1 to the start address value and set channel two to zero.  For anything above 255, you would set channel 1 to max (255) and set channel 2 to a value that when added to 255 will give the desired start address.   For example, if you needed the start address to be 17, you would set channel one to a dimming value of 17 and channel two would be 0.  If you needed the start address to be 275, then you would set channel one to 255 (max) and channel two to 20 since  255 + 20 = 275.  As for telling what mode you are in, perhaps you could just make the display blink when in programming mode.  As for setting the controller into programming mode, remember, that is done with the jumpers on the device, not the programmer andthat some of the newer devices do program a different way.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, »
I was under the impression that the second channel was a "High Order Byte" value.

Set channel 2 (and all others) to "0"  and the channel 1 value from 1 to 255

To set a value of 256 or higher, set channel 2 to "1" but still use channel 1 to control the final value
(Channel 1 value plus 255)

This is going to force me to get some hardware out of storage, isn't it?
Either way could work. It's just a matter of the PIC programming.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, »
While you could do i that way, why go thru the added logic.  The simplest way is simply to read and add the values of the fist two channels. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rm357

New Feature Request
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, »
You could add a "Prg" channel between channels 1 and 512 - next to the "ALL" channel...

I found some posts from 2008 and 2009 that said DMX channels 1 & 2 are added together to get the start address. The bobcat tester would just need to continuously broadcast a full 512 channel DMX stream with values in channel 1 & 2 that add up to the desired start address and fill out the rest of the channels with zeros.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, »
So, with everybodys input it sounds like this would be a very useful feature to have. i aggree that a pgm after the ALL might be the easiest way to do this. and it should only require like a new firmware flash. if your still not wanting to do this would you be willing to make you firmware open source so the community could expand on it?
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, »
Ok, I think the lights might have finally gone on. Tell me if I'm understanding this now. Devices like the MR16 use the combination of channels 1 and 2 to program a "single start address" for the device.

Example 1:  channel 1 = 100, channel 2 = 0   gives devices start address = 100
Example 2:  channel 1 = 256, channel 2 = 10 gives devices start address = 266

If I understand this now, this is an easy add-on. As suggested, I can add a "PRG" after the "ALL" setting in the tester and it will continue to send out the dialed-in value spread across channels 1 and 2.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, »
Channel intensities are limited to 0~255.

In your example programming 266, you'd need 255+11 for channels 1 and 2... And 0s for channels 3 through 512.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, »
Ok, I think the lights might have finally gone on. Tell me if I'm understanding this now. Devices like the MR16 use the combination of channels 1 and 2 to program a "single start address" for the device.

Example 1:  channel 1 = 100, channel 2 = 0   gives devices start address = 100
Example 2:  channel 1 = 256, channel 2 = 10 gives devices start address = 266

If I understand this now, this is an easy add-on. As suggested, I can add a "PRG" after the "ALL" setting in the tester and it will continue to send out the dialed-in value spread across channels 1 and 2.

you got it. 255 max on each channel up to 510 would work because everything has at least 3 channels. I think the Dumb String Controller that will be comming out would work the same way as it too need 3 channels, 510 would be the max value needed.

Thanks
Scott
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos