Author Topic: New support method for pixels  (Read 4525 times)

Offline caretaker

New support method for pixels
« on: May 27, 2012, »
I wasn't happy with the method of zip tying the pixel string to paracord so I began to look for a new method. After looking over what others have done I came up with this idea which is somewhat of a hybrid of the design by Walter and Jackie Monkhouse which used strapping and my own design which uses 1" nylon flat web. You will b able to see in the pictures that I had my wife sew on a heavy duty D ring at one end of a 20 foot piece of 1" nylon flat web and then proceeded to put 60 holes in the web at a distance of 3 1/2" apart.  I ordered my webbing from Amazon You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
and the D rings from Amazon too. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  I used a hole punch I had for leather and put in in my drill press to "punch" the holes in the flat webbing using a board underneath. Ideally using a soldering pencil or heating the punch would work better as it would melt and seal the nylon to prevent fraying but I did not have to much of a problem and saved myself from the fumes. Now after I seal all my ends of my pixels with silicone I will be able to hook the ends of my "Pixel Straps" to the top of my mega tree then use an adjustable buckle at the bottom to tighten the strap up. 
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
Re: New support method for pixels
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, »
I too used paracord last year. I am looking for a new way to mount strings. Your method looks promising. My only concern is that the strap would block the light on strings in the back. Are you mounting the back strings facing the street?.

Offline caretaker

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, »
Yes they will hold all the pixels so the face outward toward the audience.  One thing I have noticed is that with the little bit of black around the pixel it seem to better define the colors of the pixel.  When I get a chance I am going to do a test to see if that is true or just my imagination.  Also when I get a little more time I will post some more/better pictures of how my setup will work.
Jeff Squires

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
New support method for pixels
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, »
Very innovative ... Anxious to hear how this works for you .... Looks very promising!
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, »
I was planning on using that myself and evn ordered some webbing (also black).  The only real issue with it for me is that I saw after ordering was directonality of the nodes when ounted that way.  Where I want to put my tree, you can see about 3/4 of it and I can't determin the best way to mount them like that.  With paracord it really doesn't matter so I may have to rethink that method.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline caretaker

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, »
I though about that myself (IE: half mega tree, 3/4 mega tree) but in the end I think you will be able to see the pixels in back even if they are not directly pointed at you because of there brightness. Of course this would all depend on where your Mega Tree was placed, mine is away from the house enough that when the cars park to see the show you can see most of the tree.
Jeff Squires

Offline JerryPlak

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, »
Looks very promising, also like to hear how this works for you  8)
Jerry Plak

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, »
I just saw a ribbon but it was made of thin aluminum, it has holes punched in the aluminum band and lights mounted like your pictures. 16 strips in parallel 18 feet long and all the lights facing forward.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
Re: Re: New support method for pixels
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, »
Do you have a link?
I just saw a ribbon but it was made of thin aluminum, it has holes punched in the aluminum band and lights mounted like your pictures. 16 strips in parallel 18 feet long and all the lights facing forward.

Offline einstein2883

• Beta Tester
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, »
I really like your idea.  After seeing yours it got me thinking.  Instead of punching holes why not just double up the strapping and sew them together every 3 - 1/2in. Then slide the pixels between the 2 straps. This would make the string even stronger and maybe not block the next pixel string as much.  I have attach a picture to help show it better.  What you think?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, by einstein2883 »

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, »
One problem with that is getting the strapping the correct width so that the pixels are not burried in the webbing.  The other issue would be how are you going to keep the pixels in position.  When the wind blows, the webbing is going to move and the pixels will move between the layers.  A final issue that I see is that the webbing can catch water and hold it against the pixel and as we have seen, many of hem are far from water proof.  I was thinking of folding the webbing over the pixels and sewing them in place and while that would keep them in place, it would also be far worse at trapping water against the pixel. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Timon

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, »
If you stitch the webbing close enough and tight enough they should hold with the aid of a little silicon.

Punching holes in the webbing should work well although I'd use the flat pixels. It's more compact and easier to stitch them in place.

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
Re: Re: New support method for pixels
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, »
Do you have a link?

No, saw it while delivering some stuff. He was working on it for his display.

2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, »
Another good reason to carry a spy camera......
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline keitha43

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, »
I am antious to see the Monkhouse solution at the Academy.