Author Topic: Skipped the 8 pin sockets.  (Read 2926 times)

Offline shgshgshgshg

Skipped the 8 pin sockets.
« on: May 27, 2012, »
Ok, so I was building my board and I got almost done and realized that I had soldered the RS485 and the Octocouper chip directly to my PCB instead of soldering the 8 pin sockets on first.  :-\

So my question is this: Can I continue ignoring the problem, or will I need to fix my error?
If I do need to backtrack and fix the mistake what is the easiest way to do so?

Thanks everyone
2012: 2,000 lights, 16 channels, all controlled by Vixen.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline keitha43

Re: Skipped the 8 pin sockets.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, »
I would leave it. You may do more damage desoldering the parts. The sockets make it easy to swap out parts if you suspect a bad one.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, »
If the dongle works, Don't worry about it.

If it doesn't work, you may have to remove them.

If it bothers you, removing them will require snipping the pins off the chips, heating each pin with your soldering iron, and gently pulling them out. Then you will have to clean out the old solder, with sucker or solder wick, soldering in your sockets, and replacing the 2 chips.

Some have had success removing the chips without snipping the pins off, you will run a chance of pulling off a trace.

I would just go with it as is.

good luck
Have Fun!

Offline shgshgshgshg

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, »
Ok, Thanks guys. I will leave it the way it is and hope that it will work.
Thanks again.

Offline hicksjo

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, »
The other consideration is how much heat you put into the components while soldering ... It is possible you damaged the chip while soldering.  This is another good reason for the sockets.  I did the same thing on my first express build.  I tend to beat myself up over mistakes so I could not stand not correcting it.  I got a de-soldering (not sure if that is a word) tool from the shack ... Has the iron to heat the solder and the suction bulb and tube in the same handle ... It took a few tries to get the technique down, but it worked ... And I was able to salvage the chips without cutting leads off as mentioned above.  Odds are if you leave the chips directly soldered you will have no problem, but just wanted to give you my 2 cents ... And let you know it's been done before.

Offline shgshgshgshg

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, »
hmmm thanks for the info. This is my first time ever having to solder anything, or work with intricate electrical components like this. It's very encouraging to have this community that is able to help if/when problems occur.    :D

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, »
A desoldering iron would make removing the chip alot easier.

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, »
If it is not broken don't fix it!!!!  If the dongle works leave it alone.  I have 3 dongles and have never had a problem with any of those chips.

Offline urthegman

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, »
Just a little additional FYI to ease your mind, at least one of the commercial light controller companies doesn't use sockets on their boards at all, ALL of their chips are soldered on directly!!!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, »
Very few commercial product use sockets.  That just adds to the cost with no advantage for them.  The advantage for us is it helps prevent overheating of chips for for beginners who are inexperienced at soldering. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rm357

Skipped the 8 pin sockets.
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, »
Commercial manufacturers do not want their products to be easy to repair. They want you to either pay an authorized repair center or buy a new one - both result in profit... If its easy for you to repair, they don't earn any additional revenue...
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, »
i don;t think self-repair is even a blip in most manufacturer's decision process.

instead it is reducing every little thing that they are able to reduce in the manufacturing process to squeeze our pennies... eliminating a socket to save a penny can save a great deal when millions of products are manufactured.

eliminating manufacturing failures is another huge consideration... if pins can be bent with sockets, it can save a lot of field issue costs to avoid a situation where the pins have an opportunity to be bent.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro