Author Topic: xLights 2012b  (Read 3356 times)

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
xLights 2012b
« on: May 28, 2012, »
The latest version of xLights has finally arrived. This is the version I will be reviewing in the xLights classes at the Academy. Can't wait to see everyone there!!

It can be downloaded from SourceForge: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You can download the latest version for both Windows and Macs. Contrary to my prior comments, the Mac version requires OS/X 10.4 or later and will run on PPC and Intel-based Macs.

Changes since the last version:
  • Merged the Scheduler and Tester programs so that you can run tests while your show is waiting to run
  • The show schedule is now fully customizable. You are no longer limited to repeating the same schedule each week.
  • When stopping a playlist or show, you are now asked if you want to stop immediately or let the current sequence finish.
  • You can now save the list of channels being tested and reload that list later.
  • User interface improvements.
  • Makefiles are now provided for compilation in Linux.

Enjoy!

Matt
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, by dowdybrown »
Matt Brown
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: xLights 2012b
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, »
Awesome list of new/ updated changes

Many thanks

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline caretaker

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, »
I would have to second what Rick has said,  a big thank you for your time and effort put into X-Lights for us blinky light addicts.
Jeff Squires

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, »
I want to say thanks for the program but also to say thanks for putting the version number in the download name.  To many programs keep using the same download name and then it becomes hard to tell what version you have when you go searching to do an install or reinstall.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Timon

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, »
Hot dang, I may be able to put my iMac G5 to work yet. Now doing the happy dance.

Now the big question, how well will my iMac G5 run a large show?????????

========================================================================================

Matt, what development environment do you use on Windows and the Mac? Also, how much work do you have to do too build the Mac version once the Windows version is working?

I'm wondering because I'd love to see Joe get HLS running on the Mac as well as the PC. He develops using C++ and just the Microsoft Foundation Class. That combination is not too bad to convert.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, by Timon »

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, »
Matt, what development environment do you use on Windows and the Mac? Also, how much work do you have to do too build the Mac version once the Windows version is working?

I'm wondering because I'd love to see Joe get HLS running on the Mac as well as the PC. He develops using C++ and just the Microsoft Foundation Class. That combination is not too bad to convert.

The cross-platform library used by xLights is wxWidgets. The IDE used is Code::Blocks on Windows and Linux. On the Mac, I just use xCode. This time around, getting the Mac version working took about 2 painful weeks. I told my wife several times that I was giving up on the Mac port.

I've had several requests lately to support HLS. Right now, I'm working on getting ready for The Academy and really don't have time. I would guess that converting all of HLS from MFC to wxWidgets is at least several months of hard work. Since it is Joe's project, this is something he would need to drive.

Matt
Matt Brown

Offline Timon

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, »
Matt,

I'm looking for why I'm having a problem with xLights finding the LOR dongle on the Mac. I'm running Lion but I do have Parallels running. As soon as my wife gets off her computer I'll try her's which is also Lion but no Parallels.

I'll try the G5 but I'll have to take a controller down and it's connected to a Singing Pumpkin face. Might be easier to take both the pumpkin and the controller ;D

There is a good book on making C++ programs portable between windows and the Mac. It's about $30 depending on where you get it from. If done right it's literally just a compile and build on which ever system your on. I may just have to fork out for the book ::)

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, »
Matt,

I'm looking for why I'm having a problem with xLights finding the LOR dongle on the Mac. I'm running Lion but I do have Parallels running. As soon as my wife gets off her computer I'll try her's which is also Lion but no Parallels.

You need to have the FTDI VCP drivers installed. I haven't tested on Lion, but worked fine on Snow Leopard.

Matt
Matt Brown

Offline Timon

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, »
Thanks Matt,

That was on my list of things to try. Normally you don't need drivers but what the heck.

Update: working on Lion, now to try my iMac G5. Wonder if can run a large number of channels? Only time will tell ;D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, by Timon »

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, »
Used both of the windows and mac versions.  Both worked great for doing a test, can't wait to use it to run my first show!