Author Topic: Nutcracker: Academy presentations posted  (Read 2262 times)

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
Nutcracker: Academy presentations posted
« on: June 16, 2012, »
I gave two talks at the Ultimate Academy in Conroe, Texas. June 16,2012.

Both talks are found here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Note, they are right below the tutorials

Talk #1, Introduction to Nutcracker. Big Room, 50-60 people in attendance. Good questions, seemed to be well received.

Talk #2: Nutcracker, Advanced Programmming. Medium Room, capacity 40, in attendance 50.

I walked into this room and was like What? I am expecting maybe 5-10 programmer types. My presentation is how to write macros in php language and you can create your own effects. There were people there who have never sequenced anything, this is their first glimpse into our hobby.

The reason the first slide of advanced has the question "What is Advanced programming?", i had an idea some more people than I expected would show up.

Well, i probably took care of those people.

I went ahead and talked to the 6 programmers in the room . I tried to include the others by going through the nutcracker cycle(create target, apply effect cycle).

Maybe , some others might mention what they thought of the presentation. I really think I missed the mark,

After the intro class friday, i gave the intro class to the Australian Brisbane mini. Other than me forgetting time zones and missing the start by 30 minutes, the BBB (Big BlueButton) that gigogig has setup worked very well. The audio was excellent, the video quality not bad.

anyways, go look at the advanced pdf from the academy and imagine the WTF? looks I was getting

sean
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Nutcracker: Academy presentations posted
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, »
Sean, you had two great presentations!  You are a gifted presenter and I was glad to meet you in person and hear you talk about Nutcracker.

I think you hit it dead-on in each class -- including the advanced session.  Many of these classes are like drinking from the firehose the first year, but with the next year it all makes sense.  The first year does something else -- it opens our eyes to the possibilities and guides us to find our way through the threads. 

I heard no one say that Nutcracker was too complicated -- much the opposite.  Nutcracker now makes RGB pixels accessible to folks that saw only obstacles with traditional sequencers.  Last year folks thought RGB was interesting but too complicated to jump into the water.  This year people are saying just the opposite due to the contributions of RJ, Matt and Sean (Lynx smart strings, xLights, and Nutcracker)!!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, »
Thanks Steve, it still felt weird. I arrived 15 minutes before the class was supposed to start, room was full.

I went and asked someone what class is in this room? They said nutcracker, it was like a twilight zone moment.
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I gave two talks at the Ultimate Academy in Conroe, Texas. June 16,2012.

...and excellent, they were! Thanks for everything...especially what's coming!

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline steve_hirst

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, »
One of the things that I am amazed by, every time I do anything in the lighting community, is the broad amount of knowledge that people are willing to share. I thank RJ, Sean, Matt, And the many others that could be named here. This is much more than a group of people, It is an extended family and I am glad that I have such a big family to visit with. Your presentations were great and I think you will be surprised at how many people will use what you have shown us at the Academy. I know I will be working on some new macros soon.

Offline txburr

Nutcracker: Academy presentations posted
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, »
Thanks for the great info today

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
One of the things that I am amazed by, every time I do anything in the lighting community, is the broad amount of knowledge that people are willing to share. I thank RJ, Sean, Matt, And the many others that could be named here. This is much more than a group of people, It is an extended family and I am glad that I have such a big family to visit with. Your presentations were great and I think you will be surprised at how many people will use what you have shown us at the Academy. I know I will be working on some new macros soon.

+1 to the above.  Nice to meet you Sean.  I look forward to using nutcracker this coming season.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, »
Sean,

Did you get the gallery page setup? I thought you mentioned it but I can't find it in my notes.

Ron

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, »
Nevermind, I found the link on the effects generator page.

Thanks,

Ron

Offline Steve716

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, »
Sean, the Nutcracker presentation was fantastic. I had been playing with the program a little, and now I understand it a lot more. Thanks for giving your time and knowledge to the Academy attendees.

Offline Greg Young

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, »
Sean, just to add my comments as well.
I thought you did an excellent job of explaining Nutcracker to your audience.
I am not a programmer, but thoroughly enjoyed your presentations, and very much appreciate all you are doing for our decorating community!
Greg
Greg