Author Topic: Lone Star Holidays Presentation - Sequencing with Video  (Read 1888 times)

Offline sielbear

I wanted to share the presentation I gave at Lone Star Holidays this year. The focus was on overcoming the challenges faced when moving to pixel-based animation. Currently, most software focused on sequencing for animated displays are simply geared towards grid-based / cell-based methods to draw colors and intensity values. As the channel counts grow, it's simply impossible to realize the true benefit of pixel nodes without some type of Macro level sequencing. In trying to overcome these challenges, I tried to think back to other experiences I had manipulating large panels of output. I quickly reflected on the similarities of video to large pixel matrix setups. Video editing software was designed to work with HUGE numbers of pixels, and thus my plan was hatched!

Using the built-in video-to-lights automation tools provided in Light Show Pro, I completed my entire show in 2011 by first creating custom video effects in Vegas video, then automating the entire work to a sequence file. I think the results were decent for my first efforts into using this method. While there are some "gotchas" to using my methods, it was in my opinion, FAR superior to simple copy / paste functions, and significantly faster.

One last comment - while I did encounter some issues with this method (and I've detailed them VERY clearly), I stand by this method and LSP. I don't get paid to say this, and I'm in no way affiliated with LSP. This brought back a lot of the creativity for me and reduced the time spent mindlessly copying and pasting channel values.

Take me to the page!!! Ok...
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
I enjoyed your class and talking with you at the Academy.  Thanks for the link!

Offline sielbear

Thanks!  I enjoyed talking with you as well!  I'm pretty excited to see where this hobby takes us in the next year or two.  Really advanced solutions coming down the pike.  I'm constantly amazed at the creative solutions the community seems to come up with.  I felt like I was surrounded by simply brilliant people at the Academy.

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
Alan,

You gave me so many ideas on using LSP.  I use Final Cut Pro 7 (I also have Vegas, but don't use it much anymore) to do videos.  I will share my experience as I attempt to duplicate what you are doing in Vegas.  Thank you for such a top shelf presentation.

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline sielbear

No problem!  Glad you're finding the information / ideas useful.  I'm really excited to see what other folks come up with this year!