Author Topic: Nutcracker: New release, copy effect  (Read 1308 times)

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
Nutcracker: New release, copy effect
« on: June 22, 2012, »
The gallery and the copy effect are now released and functional.

From your effects tab, click on click on the last line that looks like this:
Click here to see the gallery of effects other users have created

You will then see the thumbnails of every effect people have generated.

If you find an effect you like, click on it and it will be copied into your effects library with the name YYYYMMDDHHMI

so maybe 201206221602. The description of this effect will be the original effect name from whomever created it,

now you can increase your effect library.

thanks, sea
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, by smeighan »
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Nutcracker: New release, copy effect
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, »
Sean
I love the effects gallery, but it is getting awfully large and will be growing even larger as more people begin to generate their own effects.  For future consideration maybe you could subdivide the gallery into effect class to make it a little easier to find appropriate entries that someone could use.  For example, I was sitting at my wife's computer and showing her the gallery so she could pick some things she liked, but we had to wade thru an awful lot of effect tiypes that were not meaningful for my new megatree, like a whole bunch of matrix effects.

On a similar issue, when I click on an effect I would like to have two options come up.  One is copy to my library and the other is  display the parameters used for that effect.  Often I copy an effect just so I can see what the parameters are so I can learn what works best, but I really do not want to clutter up my library with copied effects that I will not be using and then have to remember to go back and delete.  On the copy option it would also be useful to be able to change the name to something meaningful to me rather than a generated number.  As it is when I go to a copied effect and open it up the first thing I do is to rename it, but the original copy still remains in my library.  I could see this becoming a future space issue for you.

Not high priority issues, but I think these could be very useful as the library grows.

Thanks
Jim
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, »
Without waiting for some usability improvements, there are things you can do on your own...

You can copy an effect into your space...
you can get the values and print/write them down or save a screenshot...
you can delete them when you choose.  [click the link at the top named: "Cleanup old targets and effects"]
you can rename it if you choose with the edit page.  edit the name and it will create a copy under that new name.  delete the old name with the cleanup page.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Without waiting for some usability improvements, there are things you can do on your own...

You can copy an effect into your space...
you can get the values and print/write them down or save a screenshot...
you can delete them when you choose.  [click the link at the top named: "Cleanup old targets and effects"]
you can rename it if you choose with the edit page.  edit the name and it will create a copy under that new name.  delete the old name with the cleanup page.

I am doing all that today.  This was a suggestion for future improvements.  But I have found it better to copy the parameters and paste them into an excel spreadsheet or they are way to small for my eyes to read the print selection mode directly from the browser.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline smeighan

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, »
Sean
I love the effects gallery, but it is getting awfully large and will be growing even larger as more people begin to generate their own effects.  For future consideration maybe you could subdivide the gallery into effect class to make it a little easier to find appropriate entries that someone could use.  For example, I was sitting at my wife's computer and showing her the gallery so she could pick some things she liked, but we had to wade thru an awful lot of effect tiypes that were not meaningful for my new megatree, like a whole bunch of matrix effects.

On a similar issue, when I click on an effect I would like to have two options come up.  One is copy to my library and the other is  display the parameters used for that effect.  Often I copy an effect just so I can see what the parameters are so I can learn what works best, but I really do not want to clutter up my library with copied effects that I will not be using and then have to remember to go back and delete.  On the copy option it would also be useful to be able to change the name to something meaningful to me rather than a generated number.  As it is when I go to a copied effect and open it up the first thing I do is to rename it, but the original copy still remains in my library.  I could see this becoming a future space issue for you.

Not high priority issues, but I think these could be very useful as the library grows.

Thanks
Jim

Jim;
all good suggestions. now where is the 25 hour day? :)

These next two weeks are going to be a killer for me.

July 9,10,11 i have 4 practices and 3 performances in downtown Denver. I will be performing in the Buell theater, 2000 people in the audience. The piece i am performing with a choral group from Delaware is a commissioned piece. The composer will be in the audience, no pressure ...

My sons swim saturday, i am the stroke and turn judge.

Next wednesday, i am supposed to make a presentation to my bosses boss. same day as two performances in denver.

July 15-21 one week boy scout camp out at peaceful valley (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)

After the 22nd, things get back to normal. I will try to get what i can done.

What i am working on next is

A) text effect.

Currently works on megatrees, when the target is a grid, the text scrolls backwards.

Enhancemnts:
1) Let text scroll right or left
2) Allow the scrolling speed of the text to be modified

B) Layers. I have code done, just need to finish a few items.
The layer effect will allow you to pick two effects and have them combined
1) merge A and B, identify which effect takes precedence
2) Allow masking (Exclusive OR) of two images. This will allow text to scroll in front og a flag gif and have the text made out of the gif.
3) Allows layers to fade in and out. You will be able to pick a solid color and have it be the background for other effects, fade out a butterfly into a solid color , .etc.

since the above are not super complicated i will do them in my spare time.

i want to get Nutcracker 2.0 working so i can sequence effects exactly to the frame marks in a song. This probably late july/ early aug
Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, »
I did say not a high priority.  Just wait until Nov 1 rolls around and you start thinking about what you need to do for your own display - forget about Nutcracker enhancements then.  LOL.  Not meant to scare you off, but we each have so many irons in the fire.  I'm retired and I still cannot seem to find the time to work on all things that I WANT to do.  I have to concentrate on the NEED TO DO and you should as well.  We are all grateful for whatever time you give us and you have already made my sequencing job easier so thanks again..
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline smeighan

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, »
I did say not a high priority.  Just wait until Nov 1 rolls around and you start thinking about what you need to do for your own display - forget about Nutcracker enhancements then.  LOL.  Not meant to scare you off, but we each have so many irons in the fire.  I'm retired and I still cannot seem to find the time to work on all things that I WANT to do.  I have to concentrate on the NEED TO DO and you should as well.  We are all grateful for whatever time you give us and you have already made my sequencing job easier so thanks again..
np jim, i was just explaining why i wont be getting that much done in the next two weeks.

My priority for nutcracker is to be able to sequence my tree AND allow other people to do the same. so far, i have not had to choose between those two.

by end of august thigs ought to be looking pretty smooth.

thanks
Sean
Littleton, CO