Author Topic: One ETD working the other not so good. ( All working Video)  (Read 2220 times)

Offline animal

Ok everyone,
             I haven't checked anything yet but this is what I have. ETD 1 flashed with pixel net hooked to my old laptop direct with a xover cable then to my active hub with a mega sphere ( 3 CH. DMX set to 1) plugged into dmx out with xlights set up with 8 universes of E1.31 and the first universe all checked. Put power to the etd light comes on data light flickers and the laptop acuires an ip automatically. Run a test in xlights all is well, YEAAAAAAA. I'll post a small video.

Etd # 2 not so good. Both lights on this one comes on and stays on even the activity light. I've reflashed ETD, rebooted the laptop. Disabled and reenabled the network It goes thru the enableing but the activity light just stay on. I acuires a ip but again the acivity and conection on the etd stays on.

Just seeing where I should start trouble shooting. I'm going to pull the board out and do some inspections. (chips, sodering, etc, etc. )

let me know where else to start,
                                                            Thanks,
                                                             animal >.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, by animal »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: One ETD working the other not so good.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, »
Look it over real good to make sure you have the parts in the same place as the working one. Make sure the clocks are not swapped location. been a couple of those. Make sure each resistor is the right one in the right location.

Then if you can not fins anything else pm me so I can get it taken care of for you. Please do not try and fix any issues on the SMD unless you are very familiar with smd soldering. even if there is a problem it is easy for me to fix until someone try to fix them as soldering iron are not friendly to tiny tiny little pins.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline animal

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, »
Thanks Rj,

I,m going to go thru it with a fine tooth comb. The other ones working great and I'm sure it's something silly. If not, My son lives in avalon park. If it's in your schedule we can do a one on one if not no problem. I know your busy. We'll get it working.
                                                                         Thanks,
                                                                          animal

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, »
I am in avon park florida so unless you mistyped I am not familiar with "avalon park"  Just pm if you can not find anything.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline animal

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, »
I did sorry,
              Here's a picture of the small chipp at pin 1. I've checked the continuity to the pad and it seems to be there and all the way down the pins, and know shorts althought it seems real close to those first 2 pins. Everything looks good. Checked all the joints with a jewlers loop.

If i take the data plug out the data light goes off but the conection light stays on. When I plug it back in the data light stays off.Some food for thought.   

animal

Offline animal

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, »
Just went to check and yup first pin off the pad and shorted to the second. I haven't done it in 10 years but i'm going to get some liquid flux and see if I can go thru those pins.

Wish me luck, :P

animal
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, by animal »

Offline animal

Ok here it is,
        There were 7 pins that were crooked and off the pad. This is a issue with the chip. This thing is so small you could never notice unless with a LOOP. All the rest were perfect. So i just realined and fluxed them up, tinned my sodering iron and resoldered. All is good.

Thanks Rj for the help and I'll have to get you a coffee when I come up for food and wine at epcot.                                                                            <la..

animal

Offline animal

Here's a small video Of the etd test. I was able just to reline the pins to the pads, flux them up, and solder them up. I would not try doing this if you never have done this before. Get some guidance through the comunity. I use to do touch up work on surfacemount components and I used a special microscope at the time. With this I use a jewelers loop, and there is a technique in doing it.  Here's a good video on this.   
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Ok enjoy, nothing much.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

animal
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, by animal »