Author Topic: the LED's in the smart strings...  (Read 3136 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
the LED's in the smart strings...
« on: June 24, 2012, »
I only post this for those that want to try to match their other leds with the smart strings (like the LED sting you would plug into the Expresses, or dumb strings, etc.)

I'm not trying to make this a really technical post. just a little info for comparison shoppers.
feel free to lock this post, or delete it if I've crossed any lines.

the actual LED in the smart string nodes.
the wave length for the colors should be...
Red 620-625 (usually 623)
Green 517-522 (usually 520)
Blue 465-468 (usually 470)

I didn't make the post as in , these are really technical specs for you to see, but more of a "sticker on the box" kind of thing, where you can compare to other items in your display.

so..., If i buy some red led strings, from a vendor, and they are close to the numbers here, does that mean for example, my red led strings (ones that plug into the Lynx Express), should be close in the color as when i turn on just Red on my smart strings? (assuming full on, and not dimming either one)

To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rm357

the LED's in the smart strings...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, »
Single color LEDs should not change color as they dim. The wavelength they produce is a function of the internal materials and geometry... Also most led dimming systems use pulse width modulation ( pwm) where the led is either full on or off. The on to off percentage is the dimming brightness. They switch very fast, but if you move the led rapidly, you can see the cycling... Even the ss nodes are PWM.

RGB LEDs may change color as they dim because the brightness curves of the three LEDs may not be perfectly matched. Also, changes in the source voltage can cause color changes due to the LEDs having differing current requirements and the way voltage and current are related.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
Re: the LED's in the smart strings...
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, »
Huh? I don't remember ever seeing light wavelengths specifications on 120V LED light string boxes.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, »
now that i think about, aren't most of the led strings, just white placed behind a colored plastic cap?

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, »
Uhhhh... no. I haveone type of string that is, but most oy my sets aren't this way.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, »
but there is a plastic cover on led's that can alter the color of the light. (the red of the plastic isn't always the exact red of the led inside)

Offline kfxi

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, »
most strings of LED'S are white with colored covers, however LED rope light is clear and the LED'S are colored

Ken

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, »
Greetings,,,

If that were true, you would be able to swap in leds without worrying about different voltage drops with different colors.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, »
I have tried using cool white LED's with colored lens and it has not worked for me. It looks like a fade mini color.

Most of the LED strings I have the LED/Lens color is the same.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, »
Every LED string I've purchased in the last 5 years, the LED cover is the same color as the LED itself.

Every one. I've never seen a white LED with a colored cover, not even on Multis.  The spectrum of light emitted from a white LED (bright or warm white) isn't complete enough to do it.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, »
Every LED string I've purchased in the last 5 years, the LED cover is the same color as the LED itself.

Every one. I've never seen a white LED with a colored cover, not even on Multis.  The spectrum of light emitted from a white LED (bright or warm white) isn't complete enough to do it.

+1
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, »
have you guys done anything as far as trying to match say the your standard red led strings, and choosing which color from the smart strings match them up.

they don't have to be exact, but if i'm doing a slow song, like silent night, and using a lot of blues, i want them to be similar. or even reds in another song, i don't want some to look like they're pink, and other to look almost purple.  you know?

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, »
Too many things to do than spend time trying to match colors.  I doubt that the audience would notice.  If there was a great difference I just would not turn them on at the same time or else be sure to put those display element far apart if possible.  I like to use color changes so I put incans, regular LEDs and smart string leds all on the same color at the same time.  Yes there are some differences, but they are on long enough for anyone to think about the differences.  Just my opinion.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, »

I have one type of LED light string with the brand name of something like "Right Color", their schtick being that even though they're LED, they sort of look like traditional multi-color mini incandescent lights with red, green, blue, yellow and purple. And as you know, most mini LED lights have the LED inside the green plastic housing, and the bulb's viewable light is indirect like on fiber optics, whereas the Right Color LED lights have the LED sticking out in the middle of the lens so it looks sort of like an incandescent's bulb filament. They are nice and bright.

As for construction, the Right Color set uses red, green, and blue LEDs with red, green, and blue removable lenses, but the yellow LED has an orange cover, so it looks orange, and the purple is a pure white LED with a purple lens cover, so the end result looks pink and faded out. I guess purple LEDs are rather pricey, so that's what the manufacturer deciced to use.