Author Topic: Etherdongle problems  (Read 1805 times)

Offline jess_her

Etherdongle problems
« on: June 25, 2012, »
well built a Etherdongle worked on getting it running all day and finally found that my Dc to DC converter is broken. No 5V out. I believe the rest is working ok. I have a newer desk top with win 7. Plugged  Etherdongle directly into the computer yellow Binky light and green light on magic jack, in control panel/ network connections says it has found it as an unidentified public network. unplug it and the icon goes away. So I'm positive the PC sees it. try ed testing it in xlights no joy(the converter).
My question
Network setup   
     E1.31           Multicast or Unicast                  If Unicast  what IP address do I use. I assume you would find it in control, panel  unknown device, properties.   Please bale me out guys  I hate software ;)
Jess
Only limitations in life is your imagination

Offline Rogelio

Re: Etherdongle problems
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, »
Multicast.  When you play a sequence, you will see the yellow magjack led blink very rapidly.  Or when you use test mode, it will flash rapidly as you change intensity of lights.
Roy

Offline jess_her

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, »
hello Roy,
I now have an output up to the 6n137 opto isolator that's next to the 7805 V regulator.
nothing on the other three 2n137 isolators.
My Xlight settings
E131  Multicast  universe 1    512 channels
Tryed  8 universes of 512 with no success on output for the other three optos
how do I set up the rest of the channels?
ordered a dc to dc converter from Mouser to day so I can get the rest of it working
Jess

Offline jess_her

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, »
It's all working broke one of my own rules, if it isn't broke don't fix it. The Dc to DC converter (provides 5VDC isolation from the RS485 chips I believe) was crooked on  installed tryed to straighten it up and broke something inside, very fragile. The rest was software. Got output to the Etherdonge through Xlights but could only get 1 pixnet universe so moved on to vixen in Wiki  found the Etherdongle pixnet download 2.1 Vixen and installed it in the output plugin file of vixen. Could not ever get an output to Etherdongle with Vixen. All over the Etherdongle forums  Roy got me started with Multicast and Rick had a quick blip on the IP address for the Etherdongle, big thanks to both.  Hls is going to my choice with no reason except I can navigate it fairly easy. I can get all four Pixnet universes out it and set up from HLs output drop down box NIC card, Ricks IP (seams like HLS Joe's program will ping the card and return the IP address but that's a big guess on my part) from  there set up my universes.

Now I can be all wrong here but the way Joe (HLS) does it is,
Pixnet universe 1    DMX universe 1 through 8         
Pixnet Universe 2    DMX universe 9 through 16       when changing Pixnet universes DMX universe starts back  at  DMX universe 1 to 512 channels not from 4097 to 4608 channels
Pixnet universe 3    DMX universe 17 through 24
Pixnet universe 4    DMX universe 25 thorough 32
Hope this helps someone else and Thanks RJ, Rick and all who make this happen.

Offline dcwehw99

• Beta Tester
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's all working broke one of my own rules, if it isn't broke don't fix it. The Dc to DC converter (provides 5VDC isolation from the RS485 chips I believe) was crooked on  installed tryed to straighten it up and broke something inside, very fragile. The rest was software. Got output to the Etherdonge through Xlights but could only get 1 pixnet universe so moved on to vixen in Wiki  found the Etherdongle pixnet download 2.1 Vixen and installed it in the output plugin file of vixen. Could not ever get an output to Etherdongle with Vixen. All over the Etherdongle forums  Roy got me started with Multicast and Rick had a quick blip on the IP address for the Etherdongle, big thanks to both.  Hls is going to my choice with no reason except I can navigate it fairly easy. I can get all four Pixnet universes out it and set up from HLs output drop down box NIC card, Ricks IP (seams like HLS Joe's program will ping the card and return the IP address but that's a big guess on my part) from  there set up my universes.

Now I can be all wrong here but the way Joe (HLS) does it is,
Pixnet universe 1    DMX universe 1 through 8         
Pixnet Universe 2    DMX universe 9 through 16       when changing Pixnet universes DMX universe starts back  at  DMX universe 1 to 512 channels not from 4097 to 4608 channels
Pixnet universe 3    DMX universe 17 through 24
Pixnet universe 4    DMX universe 25 thorough 32
Hope this helps someone else and Thanks RJ, Rick and all who make this happen.

Jess,
Glad to see all is OK with your ETD.  I should get my son's back from RJ tomorrow.

Denny