Author Topic: Use to transmit DMX to a non-Lynx controller?  (Read 1995 times)

Offline DanHouston

Not that familiar with the wireless options, but I now have a place where wireless would be nice (something going up on the roof line on the 2nd floor)....Anyway, I have a question about how I would set this up:

Ether dongle (DMX firmware)-->cat5-->Lynx Express (Channels 1-16)--->wireless TX---->wireless RX--->DMX Controller (Channels 17-77)

Assuming that is basically correct (please tell me if I missed the boat) anything I need to be aware of? concerned with (distance, line of sight, etc)?

I think I read there is a spot on the Express to mount the wireless board rather than running it separately...is that an options for what I want to do?

Thanks,
Dan
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline tbone321

Re: Use to transmit DMX to a non-Lynx controller?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, »
If you are using the Etherdongle with DMX firmware, you would probably also want to use a Lynks Combiner right after the Etherdongle in reverse to split out the 4 DMX universes.  You can use a wireless EX/RX daugher card on an Express to make it wireless without the need for a seperate receiver.  The nice thing is that if the Express with this daughter card is part of a string, then the Express becomes the receiver for the whole string.  Distance for the new TX/RX is pretty good and line of sight without obstructions is always best.  There is no daughter board to make the Express a transmitter. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, »
Thanks! I forgot to draw the combiner in there. I'm not looking to have the express to receive wireless (it has a wire near it), but I do want to go from an express wireless to somewhere else.
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, »
The you would need to use the seperate TX/RX unit connected to one of the outputs of the Express.  Doing that also has an advantage of placement where it has the best range.  This is much more difficult to do with a controller like the Express with all of the power cords connected to it.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, »
I use a TXRX unit plugged right into my active hub DMX out and run all my Expresses and SSR4s wireless although when two expresses are right next to each other like in my megatree only one has wireless and then I just run a cable to the other express.  Works great.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, »
Thanks all!
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced