Author Topic: help no output  (Read 2793 times)

Offline joshuashu

help no output
« on: June 28, 2012, »
ok my dongle seems to not be working?  i try to go use the dmx deck and if i plug into one of those little 3 channel dmx deals the flood i am using shuts off. which tells me i have dmx?  but i try controlling via LSP, or LOR or dxm deck it will not output? no control of lights... I also tried a rainbow flood via a mr 16   shows i have dmx but no control of lights?  any suggestions? what can i test on board to see if it is bad? voltage wise?

Thanks so much

joshua

Offline pk

• Patron Member
Re: help no output
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, »
Do you have the FTDI drivers loaded for the virtual com port on your PC?

Offline joshuashu

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, »
yes. it has worked on this computer before... i am thinking something is wrong with the dongle? like a bad component
?

Offline gsxrgirl7

help no output
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, »
Have you tried testing it in xlights yet?  Have they been assigned or programmed their channel numbers?  Was your dongle flashed with pixel or dmx?   Just a couple thoughts of places to start looking. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"
Helen Keller

Offline joshuashu

help no output
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, »
Don't use x lights.  When I tried it in lor the listener port won't connect to it.  It flashed with DMx been using it for 2 years. 

Offline caretaker

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, »
When you plug your dongle into the computer make sure it is showing up in the device manager of Windows (you should hear a sound when you plug it in) If it doesn't show up check you USB cable first, then check the dongle, does the red light come on? If it does then it is getting power over the USB line just not connecting. No red light = no power.  While it is possible the USB module could go bad the most likely culprit is the 485 chip I would replace that first.  Also if you have access to a PIC programmer check and make sure the pic is still programmed by doing a read and see if the resulting check sum match the wiki info.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, »
Let's start with this, did this dongle work and now it doesn't or is this a new build?

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, »
Joshua,

Ive had the same thing happen to me in the past. I can't explain why but occasionally I have had to re-program the PIC to get it to work. Only on one occasion, I had to replace the PIC.

It helps if you have a spare. Just about every circuit I use I have a spare to be able to have the show back up with minimal down time. :) Of course Murphy doesn't always subscribe to my plan.  ;)

Hope this helps.

Leon
Leon

Offline AverageJoeTX

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, »
 <fp. I'm really hoping I'm wrong here, but unless I'm embarassingly mistaken I've unknowingly just purchased this unit. <fp.
Joe Glenn (West Tawakoni, TX)

Offline joshuashu

help no output
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, »
Joe you are fine.  This was a com port error not hardware issue. 

Offline AverageJoeTX

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, »
Thank You Joshua, I am happy to be wrong, please accept my profuse apologies.
Joe Glenn (West Tawakoni, TX)