Author Topic: trouble shoot  (Read 2881 times)

Offline joshuashu

trouble shoot
« on: June 28, 2012, »
any one have time to trouble shoot a dongle   

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
Re: trouble shoot
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, »
Post details and pics!
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline joshuashu

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, »
well dongle was working and now it acts like its ouputting dmx  shows up on my mr 16 and the lights are on on the dongle but it will not control my lights.. thinking i blew something and wondering what i could use my meter and troubleshoot

Offline joshuashu

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, »
anything? any help would be great? i dont understand why it would show dmx output but not controlling the lights?  should i try another pic?

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, »
anything? any help would be great? i dont understand why it would show dmx output but not controlling the lights? should i try another pic?
I haven't seen the first pic.   (ahhh... you mean PIC.  and I was looking for the pic-ture. :) )
Do you have another dongle that you can use to substitute and demonstrate everything is working?

Ideally, you have a working config that allows you to know for certain that you have good cabling, a good computer setup, a good dongle, and a good controller.

Since you had it working before, it seems unlikely to be a soldering problem, but maybe something happened to the mr16 and it lost its working channel configuration...

if you see activity on the dongle LED, I'd start from the controller side and work back to the dongle -- instead of the computer side towards the dongle.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline joshuashu

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, »
tried 3 differnt types of controllers    3 channle dmx module, mr 16 and v floods. no response ... when i open up LOR listner it keeps saying it cant connect  here is the error

Offline joshuashu

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, »
i also reflashed the pic, still nothing? could the usb adapter be bad?

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, »
Since I don't use LOR with DLA, I don't know how much I will be able to help.

since your first objective appears to be verifying that the dongle is working, I'd suggest simplifying by reducing the LOR software from the setup.

My suggestion:
1. install xLights,
2. use the windows device manager to identify which COM port you are using...  connect and disconnect the dongle a few times to see if the port you think is the dongle comes and goes as you connect that device.
3. configure xLights to use the right COM port and the DMX device.
4. connect the computer/dongle/mr16/power/lights all together
5. run the xLights test program to turn on/off ALL channels.

once you have blinky, then you can narrow down the channels to ensure that you know for certain the right channel numbers for the MR16.

once you know the channels, have working hardware... then you can reintroduce the LOR software.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, »
any one have time to trouble shoot a dongle

since LOR came into the picture, it might also make sense to verify with you... the dongle in question is a Lynx USB dongle with DMX firmware programmed... right?

A LOR dongle would change everything.  Pixelnet firmware would also be a significant departure that would require different setup and troubleshooting procedures.

Offline joshuashu

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, »
yupp its a lynx dongle. dmx firmware.  like i said it was working. i think i applied too much voltage to it using a dmx board and am wondering what i can check with my meter to test it?  when i plug it into my flood using the 3 channel modules it shuts off the little programmed sequence?  so it would tell me its getting a signal. but it is not controlling the lights?

Offline joshuashu

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, »
well i now have it working in LOR.. but no luck with lynx deck..  have no tried lsp.. i have had disable it and reinable it to get it to work

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, »
good to know that the hardware is functional.

Offline joshuashu

trouble shoot
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, »
Got it working in lynx DMx deck and lsp. I think a pic reflash helped.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, »
Great,

I was reading the post and about to post "If you zapped anything it is the opto coupler as the dongle is totally isolated so nothign else in the dongle can see the outside world on the output side.

But I got to the later post and see you fixed it. Good Job!

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying