Author Topic: General questions on ver 2.5  (Read 4558 times)

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
General questions on ver 2.5
« on: July 04, 2012, »
So I see version 2.5 is going to be more focused on the smartstring equipment. I have a few questions on the new version:
1. Is the new version going to run smoother while running the sequencer?
2. Will the scheduler be able to run better?
3. Will the overall product be worth the money to upgrade if a person is not running smartstrings/pixelnet, or is that all the new version is focused on?

Feel free to post other questions if needded.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: General questions on ver 2.5
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, »
Traditionally software developers do not charge for upgrades from minor or point releases... Instead, they charge for major releases. 

So if you have 1.x and want to go to 2.5 its a charge. 

If you have 2.0 and want to go to 2.5 it is free.

Will Dave at LSP follow this?  I don't know.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, »
1.  Yes, the visualizer performance, audio scrubbing and transitions have greatly improved. 
2.  Yes.  (But with the conductor we will not need the scheduler.   :D )
2.  Yes, there is more support for transitions which makes sequencing RGB lights much easier.  I hope to be able to post a video showing how to use transitions to dramatically improve sequencing in the next couple of weeks.  When complete, I will post a link here and on the LSP forum.

Check out a video of LSP 2.5 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I think the improvements made will be well worth the investment. 

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, »
    Until the conductor can output video, i have to stick with the scheduler. I have a 100" screen that comes down before the show starts that i show videos to go along with the music. That was my whole reason i chose lightshowpro. I am currently running 2.0, and have almost all of my sequences finished for both halloween and christmas. Can the conductor just output dmx, or do you have to have the pixelnet hub hooked up to output dmx from it. right now i am just running dmx only.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, »
The conductor attaches to the etherdongle so I could guess that if the etherdongle were flashed with dmx firmware instead of pixelnet firmware you wouldn't need the smarthub. But it would only be a guess until RJ releases the product when it completes its beta testing which probably won't be too much longer.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, by keitha43 »

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
    Until the conductor can output video, i have to stick with the scheduler. I have a 100" screen that comes down before the show starts that i show videos to go along with the music. That was my whole reason i chose lightshowpro. I am currently running 2.0, and have almost all of my sequences finished for both halloween and christmas. Can the conductor just output dmx, or do you have to have the pixelnet hub hooked up to output dmx from it. right now i am just running dmx only.
The conductor will send pixelnet to the hubs, but don't forget that each smart hub has a dmx universe that is mirrored from the pixelnet channels.  so... one conductor with 4 smart hubs will give you 4x512 DMX channels to work with.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, »
I wish the conductor had a video output card to output video to the projectors.

Offline animal

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, »

You will be able to use the slave and just send the sync signal from the software. This will take the load  off the computer but still keep the software enabled for running video like i  will be with LSP.

Animal

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, »

You will be able to use the slave and just send the sync signal from the software. This will take the load  off the computer but still keep the software enabled for running video like i  will be with LSP.

Animal
that's great info... is there a place where this is described more?  is it built into the plug-ins for all of the the software, including xLights?

Offline animal

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, »

Animal
that's great info... is there a place where this is described more?  is it built into the plug-ins for all of the the software, including xLights?
Try this,rj talks about it at the end. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Did this from my phone. I'll update if incorect.
Animal

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, »

Animal
Try this,rj talks about it at the end. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Did this from my phone. I'll update if incorect.
Animal
Thanks!  (...and this is indeed the right video)

The discussion for slave-only configurations starts at 13:00 into the video.

The "you could...  software could..." part of the presentation seems a little theoretical at the time he did this video (11 months ago).  I'd guess that the plug-ins and software support would still be needed in order to send the sync and control packets over multicast to the slaves.  Has there been progress on this?

RJ did show us the conductor/slave control program, but the integration with your sequencing software seems to be a possibility, and maybe not yest a reality.  Am I misinterpreting this?

Thanks.

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, »
I wish there was a more indept explanation in that video in using the software to sync the signal to the slave for video output.

Offline animal

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, »
I heard lsp 2.5 will suport this. I haven't confirmed this yet.

Animal

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, »
So you would have the etherdongle connected to the computer playing video and outputing video like normal and it sends signal to the slave which relays the signal to the hub correct?
 I dont really know much on how the etherdongle network is setup. I only have a regular dongle running dmx.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, by holland lights »

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, »
I heard lsp 2.5 will suport this. I haven't confirmed this yet.

Animal
Yea i hope there is much improvement in lsp 2.5, with performance issues  and overall easier on the processor. It seems lsp was hard on the computer lasy year.