Author Topic: General questions on ver 2.5  (Read 4559 times)

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
Re: General questions on ver 2.5
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, »
my ASSUMPTION is

there will need to be "listener" software running on a PC that is seeing the sync/timestamp signal from the conductor to the slave(s) coming across the network.  You will setup events that happen at a specific time code, and a command to run in this PC software, when that time event happens, this software will need to execute the defined command.  It will stay in sync just as a slave would do by listening to the sync signal.

Granted yes this scenario has you still running a PC/LapTop for the video and extra stuff - but it will be able to be a less "beefier" computer because it wont have to send out the channel data as the conductor is doing that load.

again this is my ASSUMPTION on how this would work...

Myk

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, »
Another assumption about how things do/might work...

The conductor plays its own sequence data, and sends out sync packets for any slaves to use to maintain synchronization.

After listening to RJs video, it is my assumption that the conductor is removed and the PC serves this purpose.  The PC (running xLights, LSP, Vixen, etc.) will send its regular sequence data over all LOR, DMX, or whatever networks it is configured to do.  AND it also can drive video in a LSP configuration -- like any other LSP setup is capable of doing.  What is 'new' is that the LSP software (and any other slave-aware software) is that it sends out (transmits) its own multicast sync packet, and the slaves receive that packet and play their own local sequences to the connected hubs and controllers.

PC Software replaces the conductor.

BTW, the slave is a receiver and therefore "listens" for the sync packets.  It does not transmit anything.

It is my suposition that the PC-based sequencers do not 'listen' for packets...  that would be to disruptive to their normal behavior.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, »
If this is the case, then why even have a conductor - the condutor's purpose is to replace the pc.  That is why it plays the show sequences, plays the mp3s, and has its own scheduler to setup/play the show.  It sends out sync packets across the network to keep the slaves (2nd, 3rd, 4th ethernet dongle) in sync.  RJ has never said it was designed to display video, operate electro mech devices (fogger for halloween etc) - this is going to have to be from external devices.

The conductor plays its own sequence data, and sends out sync packets for any slaves to use to maintain synchronization.  From what I have been told it has/is never been designed at this stage to replace anything but a standard show computer running sequences, music and a scheduler.

My assumption was one way to get external 3rd party control of non light (incan, led, rbg led etc) in a show.  You take away the conductor and then you have what we have now - a E131 device sending over ethernet directly controlled by a pc ....

btw, if you go over the video again, a slave controllers the ethernet dongle its attached to, just like the conductor controls the dongle that it is attached to.

one the files/songs/schedule is loaded on the conductors memory card, a PC is not required to be connected anymore - hence RJs demonstration - both the conductor unit and slave unit in the video were talking thru each other via wireless bridges - not to his laptop...

Anyways, this is off topic this is about if LSP 2.5 will have this capability - it will - as far as what information RJ has released the conductor will not.

Myk

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

After listening to RJs video, it is my assumption that the conductor is removed and the PC serves this purpose.  The PC (running xLights, LSP, Vixen, etc.) will send its regular sequence data over all LOR, DMX, or whatever networks it is configured to do.  AND it also can drive video in a LSP configuration -- like any other LSP setup is capable of doing.  What is 'new' is that the LSP software (and any other slave-aware software) is that it sends out (transmits) its own multicast sync packet, and the slaves receive that packet and play their own local sequences to the connected hubs and controllers.

BTW, the slave is a receiver and therefore "listens" for the sync packets.  It does not transmit anything.

It is my suposition that the PC-based sequencers do not 'listen' for packets...  that would be to disruptive to their normal behavior.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, by mykroft »

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, »
If this is the case, then why even have a conductor - the condutor's purpose is to replace the pc.  That is why it plays the show sequences, plays the mp3s, and has its own scheduler to setup/play the show.  It sends out sync packets across the network to keep the slaves (2nd, 3rd, 4th ethernet dongle) in sync.  RJ has never said it was designed to display video, operate electro mech devices (fogger for halloween etc) - this is going to have to be from external devices.

The conductor plays its own sequence data, and sends out sync packets for any slaves to use to maintain synchronization.  From what I have been told it has/is never been designed at this stage to replace anything but a standard show computer running sequences, music and a scheduler.

My assumption was one way to get external 3rd party control of non light (incan, led, rbg led etc) in a show.  You take away the conductor and then you have what we have now - a E131 device sending over ethernet directly controlled by a pc ....

btw, if you go over the video again, a slave controllers the ethernet dongle its attached to, just like the conductor controls the dongle that it is attached to.

one the files/songs/schedule is loaded on the conductors memory card, a PC is not required to be connected anymore - hence RJs demonstration - both the conductor unit and slave unit in the video were talking thru each other via wireless bridges - not to his laptop...

Anyways, this is off topic this is about if LSP 2.5 will have this capability - it will - as far as what information RJ has released the conductor will not.

Myk

This was for the "3rd-scenario" when any of the following did not fit an exclusively-conductor/slave configuration:
  • You want to add video, or servos, or something else that doesn't "fit" with conductor
  • You want to use your LOR, or non-lynx hardware and networks (note that you can still use DMX-connected non-Lynx equipment with conductor/slave using the DMX universe)

You still would choose conductor for the following reasons:
  • simplicity, and when a PC cannot be easily be deployed into your show setting
  • your show is too big to be driven by a single computer
  • you want a stand-alone configuration that can still produce audio (radio-capable)
  • you want to avoid spending a lot of money on a powerful show computer --you might prefer to use your sequence-editing system for other things during the weeks that your show is running
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, »
ok, i see what you mean - my brain must has been fuzzy - am troubleshooting a eDongle that just went dead on me today for no reason :(

Myk

Offline animal

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, »
ok, i see what you mean - my brain must has been fuzzy - am troubleshooting a eDongle that just went dead on me today for no reason :(

Myk

Check your pins. This happened to me. This post explains it.

Hope this helps.      ;)

Animal
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, by animal »

Offline animal

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, »
Here's an update from LSP for conductor/slave support.

animal