Author Topic: Help with Lynx Express in Austin?  (Read 6501 times)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Help with Lynx Express in Austin?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
From what you say I am thinking the data leds are in backwards shorting out the dmx.

Sent from my Charge by Tapatalk

RJ
Are you suggesting that the "DATA LINK" led is backwards?

I read that as Data LEDS (plural as in 16) not Data Link Led (singular).
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, »
All 16 of the channel leds will light up without problems.

I did not think that part of the board to be the problem as they were working through the self-test mechanism.  I assumed that control of the 16 channels would happen upstream -- where the self-test or DMX would drive their operation.

"...thinking the data leds are..."

I took led(s) to mean...  (3 kits) X (1 data link led) = (3 data link leds)

:)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline jess_her

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, »
The one thing can't get my head around.  If the Data link LED is in backwards I would think it would pass a DMX signal and the Express would work normal with out a Data link light.

hmm     got to go to work
Only limitations in life is your imagination

Offline rm357

Help with Lynx Express in Austin?
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, »
Can you post some pictures?

Check 485 chip near terminate jumper
If last unit in DMX string, make sure terminate jumper is present
Make sure remove for wireless jumper is not removed
Make sure terminate resistor is the 120 ohm resistor
Examine pic socket solder joints to make sure there is a lead coming through all holes (pin not bent under on socket)
Check voltages to make sure regulators are not swapped. The '485 chip should have 5 volts on one of the pins and the pic should have 3.3. I don't have a board handy, can someone tell us which pins those are?

Good luck!
RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, »
Can you post some pictures?

Check 485 chip near terminate jumper
If last unit in DMX string, make sure terminate jumper is present
Make sure remove for wireless jumper is not removed
Make sure terminate resistor is the 120 ohm resistor
Examine pic socket solder joints to make sure there is a lead coming through all holes (pin not bent under on socket)
Check voltages to make sure regulators are not swapped. The '485 chip should have 5 volts on one of the pins and the pic should have 3.3. I don't have a board handy, can someone tell us which pins those are?

Good luck!
RM
Deanna has the units back in her possession, and she'll need to provide pictures.

We did check both 485 chips, swapped them, swapped them back.  we know the chip is good, and we've verified that the legs are not bent.

We did NOT enable DMX termination.  this was a test bench setup, and we did not have multiple items on the DMX bus -- only a USB DMX dongle, and then the unit under test.  All 3 failed in this configuration, while our 2 working units continued to work in this same configuration.

checked the colors of the resistors, and they matched the working units.

didn't check the sockets/board connections for bent pins... but this is unlikely the cause for 3 units having identical problems.

We did not check the regulators... unfortunately.  didn't know the pins and expected voltages... but in hindsight we could have compared to the working units. :(

It sounds like the first thing to test is the data link led... though I don't understand why a LED in reverse would prevent channel control -- i'd expect only the LED to be off.

The second thing is to test voltages on the regulators.  Having more info on specific pins and voltages will help Deanna to make these checks.

Thanks.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, »
Normally when the board gets no dmx data its one of three things (assuming the soldering is done correctly and the parts are right)

1 - RS-485 chip is bad
2 - Soldering and or RJ-45 jack is bad (DMX IN)
3 - Data LED is backwards

One thing that could also be tried. Move the cat5 from the DMX IN to the DMX Out
Note: NOT DMX Out 2

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline dmorey

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, »
Here are pics of two of the LEs. The third one is at Bill's house as he swapped one of his good ones for one of my screwy ones.

I can try testing other stuff, but am new to this and not really clear how to perform the suggested tests.

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, »
One thing that I had done on one of my PBC's was then I inserted the sockets was bent the pins. You should be able to pull out the chips and check the connection from the top of the socket and the back of the PCB's where the pin comes thru the PCB. while you have the chip out also check the top of the sockets with a meter and make sure there are no shorts between the pins.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline jess_her

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2012, »
  I pulled the Data Link LED flipped around backwards. Took Dave M DMX tester (yes that was plug for it) and applied a DMX signal into the express. Channels all work with  Data Link in backwards.

Offline jess_her

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2012, »
RS485    pin 5   gnd
              Pin 8   5V
Pic         pin 28  3.3V
             pin 27  gnd

I'm very sorry Deanna my eyes are bad can you take another picture of the back side  around the DMX jacks/RS485 chips

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2012, »
If you look at picture #3, there seems to be a dark ring below the outputs below LED 10 and 12. Possible arcing?

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2012, »
If you look at picture #3, there seems to be a dark ring below the outputs below LED 10 and 12. Possible arcing?
on one unit only, there was a short when water entered the case.  The channels test out ok using the test mode.

Offline dmorey

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2012, »
Another photo of the back and also a close up of the back near the 485 chip. I can unscrew the other and take photos of the back but pretty sure it is the same thing on both. Hopefully these pics are better. It's hard to get the lighting right since the solder reflects.

Yes, that dark ring is from an ill-fated attempt to have it run a show in the rain. Only on that one box and didn't seem to affect it. (And, no it didn't run that show. We already had a show up and figured it was worth a shot.)

Pretty sure it isn't bent pins. We already checked that.

Offline dmorey

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2012, »
PS, Hello again Bill! These were the ones that you PIC programmed and looked at a couple of years ago when we used to live in Orlando. The fun never ends, lol.

Offline rm357

Help with Lynx Express in Austin?
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2012, »
Remove for wireless needs a jumper on it.
If you don't have a jumper, wrap a piece of bare wire around the two pins.

It Will act exactly as you say it is without this jumper.

If this is the only board that is hooked up, you also need a jumper on the terminate pins. It may work without this jumper, but you may see unpredictable results.
Rm
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA