Author Topic: What did I buy at auction?  (Read 686 times)

Offline injury

What did I buy at auction?
« on: July 16, 2012, »
Hey guys I go to small auctions around where I live and tend to pick up different electronics stuff pretty cheap. Mostly because people aren't sure of what things are.

My recent purchase was a lot for $5 which I was just bidding on for a Microtest Pair Scanner/Ethernet Injector, and various punch and crimp tools I use for work.

I got it home and in the mix was a TTS-44 Northeast Electronics Transmission Test Set this one You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Not seeing a free manual online so I'm not entirely sure what it's for (haven't even plugged it in). Wondering if I had any use for it in this hobby. Based on the name part of me thinks maybe I could use it to broadcast my music, but part of me suspects it may be just for electronic interference testing.

Offline MrChristmas2000

Re: What did I buy at auction?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, »
Looks to me more of an audio signal generator that could be used to test analog signal lines.

Don't think its going to be much use for the light hobby unless you are setting up long distance comm lines.  :)

Offline Greg

Re: What did I buy at auction?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, »
That is an analog telephony data line test set.  I haven't seen one of those in a couple of decades though I'm sure they are still used occasionally in special circumstances.

1004 Hz was middle of passband on voice grade/low speed lines, 404 Hz low cutoff, 2804 Hz was a "special" frequency used to activate a loopback to measure round trip loss characteristics from the customer premises to the telco central office.

A technician would put the line in loopback or "swap tone" with the test board technicians at the central office sweeping the line to determine loss at various frequencies looking for impairments.

Guess it could still be useful as a sine wave audio generator or a shack conversation piece.

Greg
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....