Author Topic: smart strings from ray wu  (Read 4672 times)

Offline dearvbguru

Re: smart strings from ray wu
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just as a note, China is on vacation all next week. I think Ray is working but I do not think there will be any production next week.

Rick S
That is correct, sept 30 to oct 5th is holiday for them.

Ray will be working every day.

Btw, he said he got backed up because a single user ordered 70,000 pixels of rgb. That order has now been delivered but it did create a backlog.

Cables and some square pixels are 15-26 days, other strings are 5-10 days. He split my order, half has already shipped dhl.

He apologized for the drop in his service level. My suggestion to him is to just communicate more. Does not matter the country, when the supply chain gets delays you need to over communicate.

He did tell me thank you for the nutcracker. He said some customers have mentioned it when ordering pixels.

Maybe it is my own fault that there are delays on my rider , lol

Wow, I thought my order of 8000 was a decent size order, 70000 * .40 per pixel = $28,000  <fp.  Either someone is doing a massive display or its a company buying a bunch and maybe trying to come out with a product this year? 

With RJs controllers at 128 max per string lets see...

547 Smart String Controllers
$1.40 per board = $765.80
$4.67 per board for SSC Parts = $2556.13

35 Active Hubs
$8.50 per board = $297.50
$45.71 per board for parts = $1599.73

35 Power Supplies lets say $70 each = $2450

Now we still have to communicate, we filled the hubs to capacity and controllers but hub will only control 1365 unique pixels so there will be duplicate addressing, but that would be 35 USB dongles or 9 Ethernet dongles and at last coop of around $95 each that's $855.

$36524 and some change not to mention all the time to solder and build the boards and program.

Lets see, I got 5 and its not me, VoltorB got 7... ;)

Someones got a little extra money to spend this year...

Offline TheBanker

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2012, »
I have mentioned this before but I do not see the reason to order specific lengths of pixels.  It seems to me that one continuous length of whatever number of pixels you want would be better.  We may be able to bring the cost down a bit more by not having them cut them, solder on pig tails, or even sometimes solder pieces together to make the correct length.  If anything it would be better to just have him solder on the connector instead.  I don't know about you guys but I end up just cutting off the soldered on pig tail anyway.
Will

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2012, »
these pixels are also used in electronic signs
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!