Author Topic: DMX help with transformers  (Read 884 times)

Offline Rikkdance

DMX help with transformers
« on: July 17, 2012, »
Hey,

So I am new to running dmx with household christmas lights as this is the first year I am atempting to animate the lights.
What do I actually need to run the original LED lights I have running off transformers that can not be dimmed.
I do not know the technical terms of items I would need to buy.
My intial idea was to buy a load of DMX dimmer and run it all from dimable transformers but it is really expensive.
Is there a way I can place a dmx dimable switch after the transformer and what do I need to do this?
Please help,

The reason for running DMX is because I have several RGB Wash lights in the sequence and all the other lights are a warm white.
Its a simple but dramatic and effective display that I have planned with about 40 channels!

Thanks,
Richard

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: DMX help with transformers
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, »
Hi Richard

I think you are from the UK

Assuming the LED lights are dc than I would look at the MR-16 controller and then you won't need the disable transformer

Or I could be totally wrong again :)

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Rikkdance

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, »
Hi
I am in the UK with DC power,
sorry what I meant is all the current lights I use require transfromers which I can not dim, some of these lights are LED Icicles and some are the normal mini bulb string lights.
Is there a way of putting something between the transformers and the first bulb that will enable me to dim the lights via dmx.
So instead of dimming the transformers they will be left on during the night.

Thanks,
Richard

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, »
That is what the MR16 does.  What is the voltage of the strings?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Rikkdance

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, »
they are all different volatges but most are 12v and each string has around 100 bulbs.
Sorry im been awkward but to get it right with the MR16 I can literally cut one of the two wires from the transformer to the first bulb have one part of the cut wire on one connection and then the other on the other connection and it will act as a dimmer switch?

Thanks
Richard

Offline Rikkdance

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, »
Right I have worked it out MR16 is what i need, going to look around now to find one cheap!
Thanks
Richard